Tweeking air con in an EL Ford - Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars
Ford Forum Ford Forum

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
ยป Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > The Garage - Tech Forums > General Tech
Register Home Forum Active Topics Photo Gallery Auto Loans Garage Mark Forums Read Auto Escrow

General Tech Have a question that is not covered by one of the other categories? This is the forum for all other items not specifically covered in other categories.

FordForums.com is the premier Ford Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-09-2003, 16:35   #1 (permalink)

Tweeking air con in an EL Ford

Good morning everyone. Just had my Ford EL re-gased, no problems. Cools to between 11.5C and 14C. The mechanic said i have to replace the heater tap ( No probs there). I told him that i would like to tweek the settings somehow so it comes out freezing. No thermostat in these cars and he said its computer controlled. Is there anyway of adjusting these settings so i can get the min temp possible out of the vents. I will fix the heater tap.
mmaher is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-11-2003, 06:12   #2 (permalink)

Re: Tweeking air con in an EL Ford

if your heater tap is not leaking and he has weighed the correct amount of gas in the a/c system you should be getting about 6-8deg c out of the vents. which shuold be plenty cold enough.for summer you should also get your radiator fans rewired to run on high when your a/c is on, to safeguard your compressor,and a/c will run cooler. ( if you haven't done so yet )
XR8MICK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2003, 16:05   #3 (permalink)

Thanks XR, i will replace the heater tap. or to save money, i wonder if there is a way of stopping the water before it gets to the heater - just to see if the heater tap is really buggered. if this makes a difference then i will replace the tap - but anyone know of a quick way to stop this ?
Old 09-13-2003, 04:10   #4 (permalink)
nightprowler

just clamp some vice grips over the hose that goes to the heater to stop the flow. if ya want to tweek it colder, on the TX valve underneath there is a little knob turn it in a touch, bout 1/8 of a turn, to change the orifice tension. if ya go too far it will freeze up. if ya get 2 degrees C vent temp with 134A ya doin good.
Old 09-13-2003, 07:41   #5 (permalink)

sorry nightprowler . but mmaher do not try and adjust that knob on the bottom of the tx valve. it will more than likely stuff your tx valve. and you will be up for a new tx valve and a regas .and 2 deg c at the vents is too cold your evaporator will freeze up after an hour or so of using it.i wouldn't go below 4 deg c. on systems where you can adjust the thermostat.
XR8MICK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2003, 07:54   #6 (permalink)
Birth, Drift, Death...

how old is the gas?

usually the best way to get the lowest temp (provided your heater tap is closing fully and your air-mix door is working correctly) is to recover the gas, replace the reciever-drier and regas the system (correct amount of course)

on a VT we usually aim for about 2c at the centre vents on fan speed 2, recirc, doors and windows shut after performing the above operations.

197.4hp at the wheels, 14.505@152.46km/h
Tuning in progress...
*CLICK TO SEE MY XR6*
I can get new Genuine Holden/Ford/Audi/Land Rover/Honda parts cheap, PM me!
Rollin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2003, 19:47   #7 (permalink)
nightprowler

svomick

your probaly right to not try it if you do not know what you are doing. it is a common thrick though on trucks and machines especially in hot environments and with that shit 134a gas

rollin,

i find is is better to leave the doors open and the fan on high to work the guts out of the aircon. if it will pull down in these conditions it will perform no probs when used correctly. well thats my opinoin working on earthmoving machines in the middle of the desert.
Old 09-14-2003, 16:16   #8 (permalink)

Thanks guys, you have given me a lot to think about and i appreciate your input. I will slightly tweak the tx valve but make sure it dosen't go below around 5 deg's to be safe, so if it gets to 4 i will turn it off to prevent any freezing.(This should be heaps , i hate summers in brisbane as they can get un-bearable), if i can get it that far. Will clamp the hose and see how this goes.
Old 09-16-2003, 15:55   #9 (permalink)

Update

I have shut the heater off with a clamp ( Temporary) Still a little hot water getting thru but i have temps down to 8C so will endeavor to purchase a new heater tap. Will up date you all, mike
Old 09-17-2003, 20:24   #10 (permalink)

I have shut off the heater hoses completely but can only manage around 8C - not cool enough, what else could there be ?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > The Garage - Tech Forums > General Tech