Tyre wear/pressure - Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars
Ford Forum Ford Forum

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
ยป Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > The Garage - Tech Forums > General Tech
Register Home Forum Active Topics Photo Gallery Auto Loans Garage Mark Forums Read Auto Escrow

General Tech Have a question that is not covered by one of the other categories? This is the forum for all other items not specifically covered in other categories.

FordForums.com is the premier Ford Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-14-2002, 18:52   #1 (permalink)

Tyre wear/pressure

I have an EB I6 with 17x8 wheels, Nankang 235/45/17 tyres, Selby lowered 1 1/2" springs, Bilstein front lowered struts & super pro camber kit. Problem I'm having is premature tyre wear on outside edges of front tyres, middle of the tyre is still only half worn. Car is not driven very hard around corners, wheel alignments are done regularily, I don't drive on rough roads (live in Canberra) or bash up and down gutters and I run 35lb pressure in the tyres. Should I run higher tyre pressure? Should I find another place to do wheel alignments? Anyone have any other ideas how to stop this premature tyre wear?

____o00o_=^..^=_o00o____
Falchoon is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-14-2002, 20:01   #2 (permalink)

I thought tyre pressures should be around 30-32psi. Maybe it is different for 17".

If the tyre wear is only on the front tryes and not the back then maybe the pressure is right. This can only mean that its the geometery on the front suspension. Maybe you should get a second opinion on your wheel alignment. Does it pull to one side?
Old 04-14-2002, 20:28   #3 (permalink)

Tyre wear is only on the front (I think, because I rotate them to get the most out of them). Car steers straight.

____o00o_=^..^=_o00o____
Falchoon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2002, 20:32   #4 (permalink)
My name is Forrest....

I run tyre pressure at 44psi on 50 series 16", would suggest you should be running anywhere between 40psi and 45psi. any less than this and the wear will be uneven, and excessive on the shoulders.
Old 04-14-2002, 20:45   #5 (permalink)
Territory TS - AWD

Falchoon, Just for clarification;

Is wear on inside & outside shoulder, if so I would look at inflation.

Wear on outside only, then suspension geometry/condition.

I would have though that 35psi would be enough for general day-to-day use. Though I have no experience with low profile 17".
Old 04-14-2002, 21:20   #6 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally posted by Jesmol
I run tyre pressure at 44psi on 50 series 16", would suggest you should be running anywhere between 40psi and 45psi. any less than this and the wear will be uneven, and excessive on the shoulders.
I tend not to agree with this. I have an AU1 with 245*17*45.......they are running at 35-38 and I'm getting center wear on the rear...suggesting that they are over inflated.

As for the front..........I put some new Bridgies on 10,000k ago and they are worn on the insides.......seems to be toeing out.......I'm not happy. $400 each and a wheel alginment............
Old 04-14-2002, 21:44   #7 (permalink)
Au's Gotta Lov'em

Along this lines I am looking at putting 17x8's with 235x45's tyres on the AU1 Fairmont.
Being that steering geometry is so criticle to good tyre wear should I be investing in a camber kit in as well??
Old 04-14-2002, 21:57   #8 (permalink)
Territory TS - AWD

AU_Steve,

I think AU's are shim adjustable from the factory whereas EA-EL are not. That's why they require kits.
Old 04-14-2002, 22:15   #9 (permalink)
My name is Forrest....

Quote:
Originally posted by Roger

I tend not to agree with this. I have an AU1 with 245*17*45.......they are running at 35-38 and I'm getting center wear on the rear...suggesting that they are over inflated.

As for the front..........I put some new Bridgies on 10,000k ago and they are worn on the insides.......seems to be toeing out.......I'm not happy. $400 each and a wheel alginment............
Do you do much high speed driving???, Low profile tyres tend to suffer from tread deformation due to centrifigal forces and this can increase wear in the centre, higher pressures actually helps this as it helps the tyres hold its shape.
where did you check you air pressures too, servo gauges can be and usually are way out, try using a servo with the new digital pumps.
As for the inside wear, could be toe out, or camber ???
Old 04-14-2002, 22:20   #10 (permalink)

I am using 16" wheels and pump the fronts to 42psi and the rears to 38psi and get normal wear out of them. For your lower profile 17" you probably require more pressure to support the wheel that has less volume to avoid rim damage.
blown EF 6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > The Garage - Tech Forums > General Tech