Ford Forums banner

Ultimate Squeak!

3K views 12 replies 10 participants last post by  Warrawump 
#1 ·
I am having trouble with my bendez ultimate pads squeaking on the rear while cruising along. When i drive slowly it sounds like a metal on metal scrape. The pads still have meat on them, and i have blow all the brake dust off of all surfaces and cleaned out the slots in my rotors, still squeaking.. I then slightly brushed the pads with a wire brush, still squeaking - worst!
Has any1 got anyway to shut up the squeak? or will i have to live with it due to the largely metal looking compound of the pads.

#3 ·
chances are its not the pad, but the metal clip like things that hold the pads to the caliper if you know what i mean. CRC makes this lube like stuff ...called anti squeak or something like that, you smother the back of the pads in it so in the event the pad moves around within the caliper it doesn squeak....my mate had a similar problem in his ea, and this stuff fixed it....

worth a try, the CRC stuff is about $10.

#4 ·
I believe it is the pad compound making the squeak noise as it changes pitch and how fast it squeaks with different speeds.
With all the people that have ultimate pads no1 else has had this problem?

#5 ·
you could try cutting a grove (only hacksaw blade thickness) with a hacksaw across the pads, from the 'inner front' of each pad to the 'outer rear'. what i mean is, if you are cutting a grove on the outer passenger side pad, imagine it is still in the caliper and cut from the leading edge closest to the hub to the trailing edge of the furtherest from the hub. thats the best explaining i can do....

also, you could file a 'chamfer' into the leading and trailing edges of each pad, say about 5mm deep and 1 cm long...here is a pic to try and show you. top one is front view of pad, red line is where to cut, make sure you only cut the pad material and NOT the backing plate!!! (arrow is direction of disc rotation for top drawing) second is top view of normal pad, bottom is chamfered pad, with angles on ends. (the dip in the middle is not supposed to be there, i drew the pic freehand in about a minute) this (and maybe the stuff hot_eb recomends) is all you can do...

Attachments

#6 ·
i have ultimate pads also, mine seemed perfect until after about a week of use, they slow me down mega quick, they dont fad, but they squeak, and annoy the you know what out of me.

But mine only happens when im between 30-0km/hr so it starts squeaking around those slowing down speeds. Dont know why this is happening either, it could just be the pads themself, who knows.

Its only the front pads tho, same pads all around... They better not be worn out already, mind you from all the black dust that i spray away i wouldnt be surprised if i needed a new set already

#7 ·
I'm having the exact same problem, DBA slotted front and back combined with ultimates front and back. the squeking is annoying .

as South pointed out it happens between 30-0km/h and appears to be the the front pads.

washing the rims/brakes once a week helps but not for long, the noise returns

#9 ·
if you use the PBR anti squeal glue that you should be able to buy in small tubes from repco and such place, you should be able to fix the problem. What you need to do is remove the pads from the calipers and clean all the brake dust off the backs. Also where the brake pads rest on the caliper mount you will see little metal clip type things. these are anti rattle shims. you need to unclip them and clean them. then put the anti squeal glue on the back of these clips and refit them. Then put the glue on the backs of the brake pads where they touch the calipers. reassemble the brakes and then let it sit for a few hours to let the glue dry. This should then be okay. It was a factory fix back in the ea - ed days

#12 ·
Dinga's XR said:
I have a similar problem with my XR6.

I found that it was the handbrake assembly that needed adjustment.

Just a thought.

Darren
Im guessing it was adjusted to tight?
i will have a look at that this weekend.

#13 ·
Bugger it is the handbrake

Gday all

I have had this problem on my XF, I had it checked out by ACT brake service and the problem was that the hand brake wasn't fully realeasing properly and there is no safety issue with this. This however dosn't solve your problem. They said they couldn't do much about it.

Warra

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.