Ford Forums banner

Under-Bonnet Heat Blanket

2K views 10 replies 8 participants last post by  Aussiblue 
#1 ·
The heat blanket under my bonnet is getting a bit scatty - has anyone found an alternative to fitting a new one from Ford - ie. suitable material to make one from?

Also - would it be disasterous to just piss it off and have a nice clean bare-paint underside?

#2 ·
Have a look in Yellow Pages under Motor Body Trimmers for suppliers of the mat. Trouble is, it won't be moulded. Maybe they do aftermarket moulded ones cheaper than Ford.

And be careful fitting the retainers - it's easy to poke a dome in the bonnet if you use one that's even a fraction too long. Get the Ford one. Don't ask how I know!

#3 ·
I pissed mine off from the EA, didnt make any difference as it was as noisey as anyway, the biggest difference was when driving in the rain and stopping at the lights, the steam on a cold day was strange.

#4 ·
I think you will find after a while the heat will start to affect the paint on the bonnet. Happened to my Fairmont, even with the heat suppressant pad still on there.

You dont know what underbonnet heat is until you have owned an LS1. The heat those things generate is unreal.

#6 ·
After the one on my NB failed a second time with the engine side black cloth sagging, rather than buy yet another new one I removed all the black cloth layer lightly sprayed the yellow insulating material with black underbody sound deadener. It's a bit black and tar-like so I placed carefully cut squares of aluminium foil on those parts that made contact with engine components (eg the coolant recovery tank). I figure this will also help reflect heat from these points. Anyway its lasted a couple of years and dried into a fury matt black coating that is, without a hard look, almost indistinguishable from the original black cloth. See attached; not the best pics but underhood insulation was not what I was meaning to photograph.

#8 ·
my old eb is white....same prob sound mat starter to go ratty so i took it off.....low and behold no color , white edges and matt black under the mat...it turns out that a new bonnet was purpchased along the way and the white was only painted about an 1'' inside the edge

cut a long post short ,,,i had to get a new one or paint it white anyways,,went and got the rest of the bonnet painted.

just worth checking if your not the original owner...

#9 ·
holden do a universal mat that is big enough for a wb statesman. it has an adhesive back to stick to the bonnet and you cut it shape. the part number escapes me at the moment but any local holden dealer should be able to help you. if no luck let me know and i`ll get the number.

#11 ·
Marlows, Repco also do stick on universal fits. I had one on my CM Valient. Difficulty even when you use the old one as a pattern is the braces etc under the bonnet make it hard to get a neat even border, Might be easier with bonnet off and trimming after all but edges are stuck down or use contact paper to make a pattern first.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.