Under-Hood Cover - Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars
Ford Forum Ford Forum

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
ยป Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > The Garage - Tech Forums > General Tech
Register Home Forum Active Topics Photo Gallery Auto Loans Garage Mark Forums Read Auto Escrow

General Tech Have a question that is not covered by one of the other categories? This is the forum for all other items not specifically covered in other categories.

FordForums.com is the premier Ford Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-03-2002, 23:55   #1 (permalink)
Well Paid, Trained Monkey

Under-Hood Cover

Has anyone here removed the black cover from the underside of the hood? The cover in my EA came pretty badly damaged and torn and I'm thinking of just pulling it off. Is it there for a reason and is it a problem to just remove it?

James
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-04-2002, 07:04   #2 (permalink)
Is it cos i is black?

You shouldnt really take the cover off even though it may be ripped as it serves a couple of of purposes.

(1) Heat shielding for the bonnet (i.e so it doesnt warp etc. i'm guessing).

(2) If you ever notice that your battery comes very close to the bonnet when it is shut, then pulling the cover off will expose the metal hood. If for some reason it comes down across the battery terminals .... (ouch!) - I've heard this has happened before!

BlackEB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2002, 07:36   #3 (permalink)
kj1881

My entire hood cover ripped in half while playing with the engine. As it was soaked in oil and heavily deteriated i had no choice but to rip it off. tried keeping it there but is was a no go. The side effects are not good.
The bonnet gets hot so if you have a nice paint job, it'll crack on the bonnet. Not good.
If the terminals hit the bonnet (yes it is very close and has happened to me several times), it plays havoc with the electronics. That and sparks fly out the side of the bonnet and will eventually burn straight through the connections. This'll leave you one moment cruising down the highway having a blast one moment, and the next you're stuck in the middle of no where. Also it screws with the computer and you'll find that your car could be running rough until it adjusts back. These are just my experiences and even though it looks smick without the cover, i recommend keeping it. So in hindsight i wish i went and bought another one. But i've never been hit with a current from it. Maybe I'm lucky.

Kevin
Old 04-04-2002, 08:08   #4 (permalink)
AcidBurns

hmmm, I have no such cover, and have never ever had any of your problems... But yes, the bonnet does get warm :) Good when ur up ontop of a mountain in the middle of the night with a lady :p
Old 04-04-2002, 08:13   #5 (permalink)
Phat Drift Damage Victim

Leave It on!

We took ours off and the paint on the bonnet bubbled off, luckily they re-sprayed nearly the whole car when we got the hail damage done

Ed
Stock as a Rock for the moment

TQE's
XplodEd EA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2002, 08:28   #6 (permalink)
400 kg ego

Re: Leave It on!

Mine is damaged too, and I intend to replace it at some stage. I don't know if the ED Ghia had thicker insulation, but if so I'll be going for that.

1989 Ford Fairmont Ghia turbo/GL replica (underway)
1994 Eunos 800M
1990 Ford Laser S
Troutman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2002, 08:51   #7 (permalink)

When my brother picked up his EA it was only being held on by 2 clips or plugs, whatever you want to call them. Perhaps it was just a quickfix idea to throw it on the car because the bonnet was quite warped, the paint was shocking and it was really hard to open.

Mine is in great condition, though it is quite oily and dirty where it would sit over the battery. Also, unless it is a hot day my bonnet never even gets warm. I can be driving for a few hours and arrive home to feel a cold bonnet, yet Dads AU gets hot driving to the local shops and back!

Hehe, our cat loves sitting on warm car bonnets so naturally it loves the AU and Mums Galant yet hates my EA :)

Ash
Kenaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2002, 18:19   #8 (permalink)
-

its also there for sound deadening...
galapogos01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2002, 19:25   #9 (permalink)
ex ea driver

HEAT

umm BAD. dont do it, paint YUCK. i think there gr8, ILS ther ewoudn't b nefferece between all of em, and surley a new one woudn't b that much, and would safe u for ever(even if it hasn't) havin a prob, so just to b on the safe side.. mine looks like shit, no black left, i'm gonna get a new one, but also i think that it neatens up the engine bay a S*&T load.
cya CATman
CATman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2002, 20:47   #10 (permalink)
WhiteRyder

Cleaning the insulation

Be real careful cleaning the insulation. A high pressure jet is a no-no. Also avoid soaking it, or harsh chemicals- it will disintegrate very quickly, or the black cover over the fibre will come off.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > The Garage - Tech Forums > General Tech