Ford Forums banner

UniChip

2K views 5 replies 5 participants last post by  Aussie Pete 
#1 ·
Hey again.

I was looking at getting a chip & cam package, such as a ChipTorque & a Crow Cam. But then i read a bit about the UniChip. In theory it sounds good, but how will does it really perform? There a few dealers around Queensland that range in price, but the seem to be around the $1200. Which seems to be a bit expensive when you compare it to ChipTorque for around $600. ( I own a AU XR6) But the ChipTorque by itself only gives out around 6rwkw which isnt much at all. Some dealers claim up around 15rwkw for the UniChip. So that makes the price more justifable! But then you can look at the Chip & Cam package for $1700. Which gives you around 20rwkw extrax. But i like the idea of them programing to suite my exhaust, extractors, intake & Optimax Fuel.

To the point of the post, has anyone had a UniChip installed, know anyone that has or can give me there opinion or more information on the UniChip.

Thanks.... Memphis

UniChip Website - http://www.airpowersystems.com.au/unichip/unichip.htm

ps. Sorry about the long post :)

See less See more
#3 ·
i was gonna get a uni chip in my ea before it got sent to the big wrecking yard in the sky...but decided not too because the unichip was the a fifth the cost of the car so IMO not feasible for me at the time. back on track brendan.....

unichip are probably the cheapest programmable ecu around, and from what i gather from the guys i spoke to, depending on the condition of my engine, (3.9L MPI) i would be looking at about 12 rwkw max.

Say you got a cam, exhaust incl extractors and uni chip done, (cost all together $2500 fitted) I reckon you would be giving LS1's a bit of a scare (maybe not beat them, but you would keep up no troubles in your humble 6!!!) I say go for it!!!

btw get lst months issue of zoom- they had a big feature on programmable ecu's and their features etc

hope this helps

#6 ·
I find Unichip has problems coping with major changes to the engine at light/part throttle. It cannot seem to be tuned for the type of driveability you see in other modified cars. For example, I have driven an EMS and MOTEC equipped car and they are very driveable other than a lopey idle. My car is a pain in the ass in traffic under 2000rpm.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.