Upgrading EL Snorkel - Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars
Ford Forum Ford Forum

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
ยป Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > The Garage - Tech Forums > General Tech
Register Home Forum Active Topics Photo Gallery Auto Loans Garage Mark Forums Read Auto Escrow

General Tech Have a question that is not covered by one of the other categories? This is the forum for all other items not specifically covered in other categories.

FordForums.com is the premier Ford Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-19-2002, 03:47   #1 (permalink)

Question Upgrading EL Snorkel

Hi,

I have just ordered a new K&N panel filter for my EL wagon airbox, and a new EL XR snorkel to feed it. My first car mod.

I have since had a good look at the existing snorkel and although it obviosly gets air from somewhere, I can't see where. All air through the grille seems to be kept underneath a plastic shroud which goes over the grille, around the bonnet catch and up to the chasis below the snorkel. The only place I can see for air to access the snorkel is under the bonnet lip. Am I missing something ?
elwagon is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-19-2002, 03:51   #2 (permalink)

Hey man do a search for intakes and have a look at ppls solutions
6pAc|30nG|00n is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2002, 04:01   #3 (permalink)

I have been through the air intake replies. All of the pics I have seen and descriptions say nothing of the airflow prior to the snorkel, with the exeption of your scoop over the radiator, unless they are discussing other methods and/or areas to take the cold air. All I am wondering is how the OEM air gets in, because if under the lip of the bonnet is the only place, then I could imagine that a secondary intake pipe would be a huge advantage. I am wondering if the air coming through most peoples grilles is able to get to the snorkel, cos as far as I can tell, this plastic thing above my grille stops any air from the grille from reaching the snorkel.
15" ROH mags

Next Step -
Lowered
Sound system

Why a wagon ?
:grom:
Put 2 dogs in a sedan boot for a while....You'll see.
Old 11-19-2002, 04:13   #4 (permalink)

Then just take the plastic doobie (love the tech. terms) off.

;P
Old 11-19-2002, 04:23   #5 (permalink)

Thanx for the advice.

After looking through your XR6 pics, I was just consifering cutting a slit out of the plastic bit, and sticking a (using your terminology) "air scoop thingee" down the front. From looking behind the grille and under the plastic, the ait has no where to go, so I wouldn't be stealing radiator air anyway, just feeding the new snorkels hungry mouth.

P.S. have you seen the number of results on a search for intake ? 1363 8)
15" ROH mags

Next Step -
Lowered
Sound system

Why a wagon ?
Old 11-19-2002, 04:28   #6 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally posted by elwagon

P.S. have you seen the number of results on a search for intake ? 1363 8)

lol whoops forgot about that factor
Old 11-19-2002, 14:51   #7 (permalink)
96 EF Futura

On the EA-ED's the snorkel is fed through the grille, directed up between the bonnet and radiator support panel and into the snorkel's mouth. I'd say it would be a very similar story with the EL's...however it is likely that it is fed through the bonnet lip like the VR-VS Commodores are....has anyone come up with a cold air source on EF-EL Falcons?

Lowered EF Futura
Black Steelies ( too cheap to buy proper mags )
SiX_iN_a_RoW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2002, 16:31   #8 (permalink)

The ELs get air from under the bonnet lip. All of the air that enters the snorkel is cold. When you shut the bonnet there is a small gap all around that allows air to get in.

I finally shelled out the $29 for the AU XR8 intake snorkel, and found the following experiences. The part number that I got off one of the postings ended up being the 220kw XR8 intake snorkel, which is slightly different tot he original AU XR8 one.

My baby is an EL Fairmont Ghia, so I dont know how relevant this would be to you.

I found that I would not fit correctly unless I cut back some of the fan shroud. It would fit with a bit of forcing, but I dont think that is the right way to go. This is also something that I have not read on any other positing here, so I also wonder if I got the right one, but in the end it does fit.

Make sure you cut the leading lip of the snorkel, so the screw holes are about centre on the top of the radiator bracket. If you look under the bonnet, this is a rubber seal that runs near the front edge of the bonnet, and winds around a cut out where the intake sits when the bonnet is closed. If you cut the snorkel as suggested, when the bonnet is closed, the seal will sit about 2mm from the leading edge of the top of the snorkel. This effectively stops any hot air from the engine entering the intake, only allowing outside air to get under the bonnet lip. If you dont cut the snorkel edge, then the top edge of the intake will be exposed to the under bonnet air.

The results were worth the $29. I found there is a small increase in power across the whole rev range. A little down low, but most noticably, the power above 3000rpm is better and smoother all the way to the red line. You also find that when you stick your hand in front of the new snorkel and rev, it will almost suck yr hand down the intake. Something the original one could not do. I am still running with the 20,000km old factory air filter, and plan to change it soon. I am trying to do it a step at a time to see where the big differences are made. Next is a new filter, then an EF airbox lid. The jury is still out on what effect is has had to fuel consumption, but I am guessing it will use a little more fuel.

Im sure the way Ford does it is not as good getting the air from directly behind a grill, etc, but it does do the job, and with the new snorkel does a better job.

I know this is not really an answer to the question you asked, just thought I would share my last weekends experiences with everyone.
ARM79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2002, 17:25   #9 (permalink)

I ordered the EL XR snorkel from my local ford mechanic...it arrived the day they were to fit my new rear muffler (standard 2.25" unfortunatley for now). When I picked the car up, they had fitted the snorkel for me.
Including muffler, snorkel, and fitting, $150.
Installed the K&N filter when I got home. Hasn't been for a run yet...will see over the weekend. Sounds a little better, but it's probably just a placebo effect. works for me....for now.
15" ROH mags

Next Step -
Lowered
Sound system

Why a wagon ?
Old 11-21-2002, 21:48   #10 (permalink)
EFXR62

i fitted the AU2 XR8 Snorkel to my EF XR6, and i also have noticed a little change in performance.. There's also a kool turbo like whistling sound when you get past 3000 revs :)

Get either th EL GT snorkel, or the AU2 XR8 Snorkel. There's a page at http://www.fordmods.com on how to install the AU snorkel to EF-EL model engines.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > The Garage - Tech Forums > General Tech