Ford Forums banner

*URGENT* EL 5spd conversion wiring looms

4K views 4 replies 2 participants last post by  stockstandard 
#1 ·
Hi

A mate and I have removed the auto box and are trying to work out the wiring for the manual. I have a manual ECU.

From all the research I've done (which is a lot) into the conversion there should be an 8 pin plug on the car loom, which fits straight into the 8 pin plug on the gearbox loom. But there's not. There's a 2 pin and a 4 pin plug (not including the big round auto plug and neutral/speed switches etc.).

The wire colours don't even match up with the ones in the 8 pin gearbox loom plug.

We were hoping to knock the rest of the job over today, but we're stuck on this, so any information people have would be much appreciated.

Thanks.

#2 ·
There is an 8 pin plug on the EFs for sure, cant imagine they would change much for the EL's. Its not tucked up underneath all the hoses and engine wiring loom is it?

When I did the wiring in my ef, none of the colors matched up either. Was no biggy though, easy to work out with a multimeter, workshop manual, and the old auto loom. All I ended up swapping on the loom (this is the 8 pin plug on the end of the manual gearbox loom) was the upper very-left <-> lower very-left wires - this is when you are looking at the plug with the notch on the top. Everything else worked.

#4 ·
Sorry - went and washed my car..

The auto box loom should end in the two plugs - 1 rectangle and 1 circle. Your manual loom will have a rectangle plug on one end, and 5 plugs on the other. 4 of these are just single wires that clip onto the spade connectors on the gb, and one 3 pin plug that is kind of trianglar that connects to the speedo. If you have something different I reacon you have the wrong wiring looms.

If it will help I can take some pics of my car showing where all the plugs end up.

#5 ·
Here are a few pics that should help you.

The loom that is sitting on the ground is the old auto loom - 1st pull that out and chuck it away.

The next two pictures show the manual loom plugging into where the auto loom did at one end, and the NSS, reverse switch, and speedo sender. The two wires that are circled are the ones that I swapped to get the electrics to work properly. The circle plug that the auto loom plugged into doesnt get used anymore.

Attachments

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.