Urgent Help Needed-Car won't start! - Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars
Ford Forum Ford Forum

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
ยป Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > The Garage - Tech Forums > General Tech
Register Home Forum Active Topics Photo Gallery Auto Loans Garage Mark Forums Read Auto Escrow

General Tech Have a question that is not covered by one of the other categories? This is the forum for all other items not specifically covered in other categories.

FordForums.com is the premier Ford Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-29-2004, 05:29   #1 (permalink)
ED Fairmont Member

confused Urgent Help Needed-Car won't start!

Hi everyone, Im having a BIG problem with my ED Fairmont. It willl not start! The more I try to start it, the worse it gets. Yesterday morning when i tried to start it for the first time, t treied to turn over a cuple of times, the cut out and i heard a 'tack, tack, tack' noise. The more I tried, the less it would turn and all Id get is the tack, tack, tack noise. Later in the day I tried it again and now Nothing happens at all when I turn the key. After turning the key, I dont hear the fuel pump activate, I just hear a constant low, whirring noise instead. Inside the clock onthe dash has gotten dimmer, and dimmer and now doesnt light up when the key is on ACC. Whatever the problem is it seems to be draining battery power. Indicators/hazard lights do not work properly, the 'ticking' u hear when theyre engaged is really fast.

I don't think its the fuel pump, Ive had that go on my EA before, and its a different experience. Today I was going to try it again, and when i tried to unlock the car with the remote, they kept locking and unlocking constantly, and each time it happened it seemed as tho what little power is left was running out.

This happened to me last week, and i thought it was the battery, so i charged it up, put it back in the caar and it still wouldnt start. It sat there for 3 days, and then when i tried it again, it started first go, and ran fine for two days. Now its started all over again.

Any ideas what it could be? Alternator maybe? A bad connection somewhere, or something stupid like a fuse? I checked to see if they were loose, but not what condition they were in. Ill give that a go first thing tom. Any help would be greatly appreciated!
Advertisement

Old 07-29-2004, 05:43   #2 (permalink)
HORNY LITTLE ANIMAL

Re: Urgent Help Needed-Car won't start!

Just sounds like the battery is buggered.
AUGhiaV8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2004, 05:50   #3 (permalink)
ED Fairmont Member

The charger I used didnt indicate that the battery wasnt working properly. It has 4 lights on the side that indicate charging/battery full/battery not functioning properly, and something else.

The simplest answer tends to be the right one most of the time tho. Ill pick up a new battery first thing tom and c how i go!
Old 07-29-2004, 05:57   #4 (permalink)
mmm..Vee 8

Could be a dead battery..

the battery in my AU i bought worked fine for 2 weeks and then suddenly just died..starter motor became real slow in turning over engine for a few days, and then one day it just died..a ticking sound like you describe and all the lights diming. got the NRMA out..they tested the battery...dead as a doornail..most likely a dead cell, so it barely held charge. Mind you it was a crap no name battery...had no brand markings on it what soever!

got a new 520cca one fitted...no worries :D

Hope this Helps

Extreme

5/1994 ED Futura Classic 5.0 in Polyneisan Green - One of the last ever built
Extreme_2020 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2004, 06:01   #5 (permalink)
ED Fairmont Member

Mines a no-name too. If it is the battery ill be mega pissed off, cos the charger i used didnt do what its supposed to and indicate it was stuffed. At the same time tho ill be greatly relieved. Ill wait and see how i go. Thanx for ur speedy replies guys! Ill post back once I know whats happened.
Old 07-29-2004, 06:22   #6 (permalink)
Experimental Racer#6

Deffinately sounds like the batery Rob.
They cost a bit but good ones come with 3 year warrenties and last.
TIKFD6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2004, 06:26   #7 (permalink)
Veteran Ford Member

Sounds to me like the starter motor is stuffed, and you've flattened the battery trying to turn it over.
psycho chicken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2004, 06:29   #8 (permalink)
ED Fairmont Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by TIKFD6
Deffinately sounds like the batery Rob.
They cost a bit but good ones come with 3 year warrenties and last.
Yeah I got no problems shelling out for a good battery, u cant put a price on peace of mind. My current battery has no obvious markings, so i can only assume its cheap crap.
Old 07-29-2004, 06:31   #9 (permalink)
ED Fairmont Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by psycho chicken
Sounds to me like the starter motor is stuffed, and you've flattened the battery trying to turn it over.
Hey psycho, I didnt get much of a chance to flatten the battery, on my first attempt yesterday the car turned over maybe 3-4 times and died, after that it turned once and thats it. Subsequent tries were limited to turning the key and nothing much happening.
Old 07-29-2004, 06:34   #10 (permalink)
Veteran Ford Member

Was the tacking noise with the ignition to start?

I see one of two things; starter won't turn over, solenoid clicks over and over, you flatten the battery trying.
Battery is half flat, not enough power to turn the starter over, solenoid clicks over and over.

Tried jump starting it?
psycho chicken is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > The Garage - Tech Forums > General Tech