V8 conversion - Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars
Ford Forum Ford Forum

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
» Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > The Garage - Tech Forums > General Tech
Register Home Forum Active Topics Photo Gallery Auto Loans Garage Mark Forums Read Auto Escrow

General Tech Have a question that is not covered by one of the other categories? This is the forum for all other items not specifically covered in other categories.

FordForums.com is the premier Ford Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-07-2002, 07:17   #1 (permalink)

V8 conversion

I was wondering I have a EB s2 6cyl and have just picked up a 97 v8
1/ Is there a set of engine mounts to fit the motor on my original sub frame ?

2? Is there much differance in the EF Sub frame and is it able to be fitted to the EB?

Thanx

Darren
Darren is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-07-2002, 08:19   #2 (permalink)
XR9UTE

Hi Darren,

You'll need a V8 K-member for your conversion. They are the same for EA to EL.

Pete.
Old 08-07-2002, 08:23   #3 (permalink)
Stand clear: 5.0 in use!

I remember Street Machine converting the 2 door EA to V8 using an EB V8 subframe which bolted straight in. I don't see the EF unit being much different, but it would be safer to source the EB V8 unit.

The main difference was extra brackets on the frame for the higher V8 mounts and different power steering lines to clear them. They changed fuel pump and fitted a Tremec box from memory.

It shouldn't be too difficult. It makes sense from a cost point of view to have as few different parts on the vehicle during manufacture as possible. Try getting hold of some Street Machine article featuring the Sony Scorcher articles.

Mike

EF Fairmont Ghia, Bordeaux Purple, 5.0 Windsor, Crane cam, ChipTorque modded ECU, full XR bodykit, 16 inch XR8 alloys, 2.5 inch dropped Tickford suspension, full grey leather trim with chrome, woodgrain and lots of lights, climate control, ABS, Premium sound, trip computer, power everything

I can't get enough of this!
V8 Ghia Mike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2002, 17:00   #4 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally posted by V8 Ghia Mike
I remember Street Machine converting the 2 door EA to V8 using an EB V8 subframe which bolted straight in. I don't see the EF unit being much different, but it would be safer to source the EB V8 unit.

The main difference was extra brackets on the frame for the higher V8 mounts and different power steering lines to clear them. They changed fuel pump and fitted a Tremec box from memory.

It shouldn't be too difficult. It makes sense from a cost point of view to have as few different parts on the vehicle during manufacture as possible. Try getting hold of some Street Machine article featuring the Sony Scorcher articles.

Mike
I think I have this mag at home, if you are interested I'll photocopy it and post it (no scanner sorry).

____o00o_=^..^=_o00o____
Falchoon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2002, 07:26   #5 (permalink)
XR9UTE

As i said; EA to EL use the same K-member.

BTW That Street Moron car was a disgrace! They put Delco shit on it instead of the Superior EECIV!
All you can expect from a typical Boat Anchor magazine I guess?

Pete.
Old 08-09-2002, 07:02   #6 (permalink)
Ford Member

Question

Hi,

I have been to the local ford dealer in Windsor (NSW) and they have told me that there are different "K" crossmembers for the EB I6/ V8 and for the EF/L I6 and V8. The differences are where the engine mounts attach. Although the 6 and 8 EF/L look very very similar in eng mount holes.

A mate of mine has an ex race EL, was a XR8 and is now a XR6. Darren you know Danny's car.

So I'm guessing they had to change the crossmember for the engine change.

The holes for the chassis would be the same for EA to EL I would have thought. Out of interest, does anyone know the difference in mount positions for the EF/L 6 and 8???

Chris
Chris Nee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2002, 07:50   #7 (permalink)
XR9UTE

Yes, amongst other things the starter motor will hit the K-member if you try to fit a V8 to a six cyl K-member.

Pete.
Old 08-09-2002, 08:09   #8 (permalink)
Shh i'm huntin more power

From EF onwards they had hydralic (SP??) engine mounts....
Jase_ELXR8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2002, 03:24   #9 (permalink)
Ford Member

Anyone know of any EF/L V8's being wrecked around Sydney? So I can get the X-member.

Looking at putting an 8 into my I6 falcon.

Also looking at putting some other EF/L stuff into the old EB.

Cheers

Chris
Chris Nee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2002, 04:36   #10 (permalink)

Chris
Did you recive an email from a guy in Leeton about his conversion. Theres a guy over at Campbell Town in the trading post who seems to always wrecking them . I was at pick & paylees today and they had a NA Fairlane it didnt look damaged.

Darren
Darren is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > The Garage - Tech Forums > General Tech