V8 Laws - Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars
Ford Forum Ford Forum

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
ยป Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > The Garage - Tech Forums > General Tech
Register Home Forum Active Topics Photo Gallery Auto Loans Garage Mark Forums Read Auto Escrow

General Tech Have a question that is not covered by one of the other categories? This is the forum for all other items not specifically covered in other categories.

FordForums.com is the premier Ford Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-06-2004, 01:12   #1 (permalink)
www.lukehimself.com

V8 Laws

I don't know if anyone can help me on this, but I heard I can't drive an V8 on my P plates, as I was thinking of getting an EF/EL XR8 for my first car. Although I've been told it's just the weight/power ratio.
I live in Victoria... what I want to know is,
Whats the power/weight ratio limit on P plates?
Does this apply only the V8s?
For example a XR6 Turbo is 7kg/kW and a XR8 is 6.9kg/kW.

Thanks,
Luke.
LuKeY is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-06-2004, 01:34   #2 (permalink)
BA Fairmont ZL Fairlane

Re: V8 Laws

it does apply to V8s and ever other engines. vicroads have a list that basically states that you cant drive a V8 on Ps but that is a load of crap. generally u can have 165kw or under but half the commy V8s around here that are on Ps are 185kw even factory 215kw senators so i guess since they are still driving them after having canarys put on and taken off you can generally drive whatever. in their theory with power to weight you cant drive an BA XT with a normal 6 either so go figure~!
Old 03-06-2004, 01:34   #3 (permalink)
Veteran Ford Member

Power to weight in Victoria is 125kw per 1000kg. Also got a capactiy limit too, check the vicroad site for that one.

And yes, you can own a V8. EF and EL XR8s are both under the power to weight and capacity to weight ratios.
psycho chicken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2004, 01:49   #4 (permalink)
www.lukehimself.com

Yay! XR8 for me sometime next year (if i keep the saving up...)

Thanks for the help davway & psycho chicken.
LuKeY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2004, 02:36   #5 (permalink)
Teh Pimp

Thank god I don't live in Vic lol. I do not fully understand why they have this limit over there because IMO power doesn't kill. It is speed and most cars can speed 24/7. Power just makes you accelerate faster, and acceleration doesn't kill (words of my driving instructor).

Then of course, there is the other factor, 'attitude'. Argh, it is all so complicated, sorry for highjacking the thread lol.
Old 03-06-2004, 03:39   #6 (permalink)
Falcon 2.. Ferrari 0 hehe

3.5 liters/tonne
125 kw/tonne

in other words, my new 351 in my XE i legally cant drive it, but i will... on my rego papers, im gonna say it has been destroked to 302... what are they gonna do? measure the stroke? as soon as they say to measure the stroke, im gonna say get F'd

XE Fairmont Ghia... Silver/Grey Met over black, soon to be v8, cant wait till i get another v8, after 3 LONG HARD YEARS

http://home.iprimus.com.au/diablo_vt/xeesp.swf
MaD_WoG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2004, 04:23   #7 (permalink)

Well i'm f**ked, Only had my licence back for a year and have just placed an order for my BA GT, I'm driveing a moded BA XR6 at the moment that has 210kw, so even now i'm stuffed. But then again how many "P" platers have a BA XR6 or even a BA GT that they own ?

My Car
shane3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2004, 04:27   #8 (permalink)
Gonna miss the ED :(

Quote:
Originally Posted by shane3
Well i'm f**ked, Only had my licence back for a year and have just placed an order for my BA GT, I'm driveing a moded BA XR6 at the moment that has 210kw, so even now i'm stuffed. But then again how many "P" platers have a BA XR6 or even a BA GT that they own ?
Lucky you!!!
Can you please give me some money for a turbo kit?
Old 03-07-2004, 04:38   #9 (permalink)
Chasing 500rwkw

Those rules are gay! Its mainly insurance you have to worry about. It will be expensive for a P plater to insure a V8. I think cops have better things to do than pick out cars kids shouldnt be driving. If you act like a hoon and get pulled over then they will most likely try and do you for it.
I drive a 351 on my P's and havent been hassled yet, but then again Im not doing burnouts or excessive speeding where there is other people to watch and bust me.
I think the EL's and such are okay anyway.

MAD_WOG has the right idea.
DansEdgli is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > The Garage - Tech Forums > General Tech