V8 rebuilds - Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars
Ford Forum Ford Forum

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
» Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > The Garage - Tech Forums > General Tech
Register Home Forum Active Topics Photo Gallery Auto Loans Garage Mark Forums Read Auto EscrowInsurance

General Tech Have a question that is not covered by one of the other categories? This is the forum for all other items not specifically covered in other categories.

FordForums.com is the premier Ford Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-09-2003, 15:40   #1 (permalink)
EB XR8 Owner

V8 rebuilds

OK, as most of you know, I recently bought myself an EB XR8. The car has 170,000 on the clock, which isn't that much and I know it will easily do that amount again, however I want some decent power and I want to start fresh.

I'm most probably going to need to get some sort of aftermarket engine management sooner or later, so the mods won't really be limited. I don't really want to go forced induction, although I tend to be easily convinced of new ideas, so...

At the moment I'm thinking, complete rebuild, strengthened bottom end, high compression pistons (forged maybe, but probably not necessary?), a decent set of heads, with larger valves, port grinding and polishing, intake manifolds, TB, larger injectors, all the other works and jerks....the usual really.

Anyway, has anyone had a rebuild on their 5L? How much did it cost and what mods did you have done? Anyone have the 347ci stroker kit? What's that worth?

I'm fairly competent in the garage, and I have rebuilt several datto 4 bangers and just finished rebuilding my '81 Lancer Turbo (which is for sale if anyone wants it - 1 of 8 in Australia), although if your experiences prove to be relatively cheap, then I'd prefer to get it done by a proffessional.
- GT scoop and wing
- Kenwood mp3 player, Kenwood splits and 6x9s
- Momo woodgrain steering wheel & gearknob
ED195KW is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-09-2003, 17:54   #2 (permalink)
boosted sleeper

I'm no expert my self but a set of DART heads, Trickflow or GT40P heads would be good for your type of application. Make sure the bottom end is built for reliabilty and strength. 70mm SVO TB, 70mm Pro-M MAF, bigger injecters (dont know what, depend on cam) Tweecer program for cpu, Edelbrock or TFS U/L intakes with a decent hydraulic roller cam from either SVO or Lunati and that should get you around 350hp+ (correct me if I'm wrong)

Probably best to ask EDXR8 what he did!
blueoval is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2003, 19:13   #3 (permalink)
Village Idiot

There is a Perth guy with a stroked ED, i think. Send him a pm/email.
His name might be 347stroker??
2nd EF GLi, 'custom' interior, extractors, exhuast
3rd EA Fairmont 5spd, low'd, extractors, exhuast, head
work, 3.45LSD, EL dash, interior+ El ECU
4th EB2 Fairmont, EL dash and interior, BBM, LSD etc etc
5th EB Fairmont Ghia 5L. All leather, lowered, exhaust etc
EFJase is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2003, 05:11   #4 (permalink)
Experimental Racer#6

Quote:
Originally posted by EFJase
There is a Perth guy with a stroked ED, i think. Send him a pm/email.
His name might be 347stroker??
His name SVO 347, he has a stroked ED XR8, Black with an Allan Moffat HO kit.
TIKFD6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2003, 09:35   #5 (permalink)

stroker

i know a guy whose done that - the kits around 3 grand - there is a fair amount of material to remove from the block etc forged pistons were also on the list - it turned into a pretty costly piece of work but it goes good

the wolf 3d is being used and works fine

unless your going to go to alloy heads you should get away with some serious porting however you must through the factory manifold away it is no bloody use
RMAassisted is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > The Garage - Tech Forums > General Tech