viscose hub - Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars
Ford Forum Ford Forum

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
ยป Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > The Garage - Tech Forums > General Tech
Register Home Forum Active Topics Photo Gallery Auto Loans Garage Mark Forums Read Auto Escrow

General Tech Have a question that is not covered by one of the other categories? This is the forum for all other items not specifically covered in other categories.

FordForums.com is the premier Ford Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-01-2002, 02:49   #1 (permalink)
large member

viscose hub

my question is on an 89 ea 3.9 your fan is it supposed to continualy opperate mine does and im wondering wether it should as my car takes ages to warm up many thanx
ferrites 1234 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-01-2002, 06:54   #2 (permalink)
NB & NCII V8 Fairlanes

Yes but at lower speeds when cold. See if you can turn it by hand it should but move with a 'wobbly' type of feel.
Old 10-01-2002, 07:23   #3 (permalink)

If these visco hubs are the similar to the ones used on trucks they should turn freely, but with some resistance, when cold. When hot the hub should lock solid.Check for any sign of fluid leakage where the shaft enters the hub.The truck hubs have a bi-metal strip or bi-metal spring on the front of the hub which activates the unit. If these are the same check that the spring isn't broken or disconnected as this will cause the hub to be permanently locked.
Old 10-01-2002, 14:51   #4 (permalink)
kool kiwi bloke

viscous hubs

when your motor is at normal operating temp the fan should just idle, ie. when you rev the motor the fan shouldnt howl.
First thing in the morning when you start you should hear the fan for a few minutes then it should settle down and stop working hard. Here in N Z the wreckers are flat out sellinghubs as they are all packing up, they have a limited life.
I recently fitted an american aftermarket hub to an ea and itwas tighter than the ford item. Basically if you hub is tight(not necessarily seized), then it will constantly howl or drone, you wont hear the normal engine noises over it. Eventually it will stuff your fan belt and possibly even the fan will fly apart as they are not meant to work so hard.
shrekky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2002, 03:33   #5 (permalink)

Ours used to be on constantly and it was very loud and the car seemed to be more sluggish than usual.
We took it down to the local mech and he popped the bonnet, turned it with his hand, said the wax or something was stuffed and told us to buy a new one.
Since replacing it, the fan now only comes on for a few seconds when at the lights on a hot day.
A bit spendy though.:oo1:
blondie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2002, 04:18   #6 (permalink)

Not warming up,

The main contender for a cold engine, is the thermostat, age catches up on the thermo, and doesn't close completely. I Bet this problem has nothing to do with the fan.
Falcon_Spac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2002, 01:06   #7 (permalink)
large member

viscose hub

stand by im about to fit a new hub and water pump see what the diff is i took ausie blues advice on the thermostat so thats covered
Old 10-07-2002, 15:15   #8 (permalink)
EB wagon

My fan clutch is stuffed too... basically doesnt come on at all...
Car seems fine tho as ive just fitted a new radiator, water pump and thermostat.... so the needle sits on the half way mark.
It rises to about 3/4 tho if its hot and ive got the A/C on.... My question is, do u need to take the radiator out to change the fan?
Ive been thinking about fitting an additional electric fan to operate when the A/C clutch is engaged... anyone done this?

Brent
Brent79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2002, 23:10   #9 (permalink)
large member

answere

no you dont need to touch the radiator but you need a special ford tool were have we heard that before he he
Old 10-09-2002, 14:31   #10 (permalink)
kool kiwi bloke

getting it off

The special tools you need are a fbh and a fbs. F#%$# big hammer and a f#%& big spanner. I think the spanner is 37 mm or 1 3/8 inch.I may be wrong. Some 15 inch crescents will fit. Make sure you order the right clutch, there are 5 blade and 10 blade ones . They fit but dont work properly as the fans need different amounts of power to run them. The thread is left hand so put the spanner on the hex bit and give it a sharp hard whach toward the passengerrs side of the car. It might take a few hits. You will need to remove the fan shroud with the fan, just slide them both up and out at the same time. When re fitting the clutch, dont over tighten it, you dont need to. Just gigive it a firm tap on the spanner to nip it up. They dont fall off with a good tap.
shrekky is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > The Garage - Tech Forums > General Tech