Warped Disks - Is this covered by Warrenty? - Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars
Ford Forum Ford Forum

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
¬Ľ Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > The Garage - Tech Forums > General Tech
Register Home Forum Active Topics Photo Gallery Auto Loans Garage Mark Forums Read Auto EscrowInsurance

General Tech Have a question that is not covered by one of the other categories? This is the forum for all other items not specifically covered in other categories.

FordForums.com is the premier Ford Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-14-2003, 19:27   #1 (permalink)
Blue Blooded Ford Man

Warped Disks - Is this covered by Warrenty?

My AU II has warped front disks. Has done since I bought it. Does anyone know if this should be covered by warrenty?

When I was buying the car, I told the dealer I didn't want the car, as it had warped disks. Everything else about it was fine, but I was not buying a car that I had to spend money on.

He assured me that the problem was fairly common, and would be covered by my warrenty.

So, being slack, I never got around to getting it fixed. I finally take the car into to City Ford this morning, and they tell me that it is not covered by warrenty, and would cost me $170. I had to restrain myself from absuing him. Not his fault. But wait until I see that dealer!!!

I would of thought this common problem would of been covered by warrenty. The guy at City Ford said they had only ever had one through warrenty, and that was on a car with only 2,400ks on it.

I am taking the car back to the dealer that sold it to me tomorrow. And he will get a mouthfull of abuse!! And to top it off, I have to pay for parking in the city today.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-14-2003, 19:41   #2 (permalink)
Bourbon powered V8

I had warped disks on my AU2 and Gregorys Ford machined them under warranty. Matt (the service manager) told me it was a known fault and that they only need doing once. The car was good for another 15000km before they needed doing again - so I bought new DBA slotted rotors for $270 a pair - and fitted them myslef.

Good luck with the selling dealer!

AU1 XR8 Auto 147.9 rwkw (approx 215 fwkw)

AU2 Wagon HAD Auto
17s, Pacemakers, 3" Intake & Pod filter (The Family Hack)

Member of:
FPV-XR Club ACT
AUFalcon.com
ATPS (honorary)
JC-XR8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2003, 19:55   #3 (permalink)
Blue Blooded Ford Man

Just rang the salesman, and they said "Technically it is covered by warrenty, and technically it is not covered by warrenty"

I told him to stop being a women, and make up his mind.

It will be fixed under warrenty only at his dealership. So, I have to take the car to Bankstown, get a lift home to Randwick, and go back out and get the car later. Talk about a pain in the arse.

Those Rotors sound like a good idea JCV8. Maybe the next time they go.
Old 04-15-2003, 06:02   #4 (permalink)
TS 40

Quote:
Originally posted by Ken Oath

It will be fixed under warrenty only at his dealership. So, I have to take the car to Bankstown, get a lift home to Randwick, and go back out and get the car later. Talk about a pain in the arse.

Those Rotors sound like a good idea JCV8. Maybe the next time they go.
When are you going to Bankstown??? Let me know if you wanna catch up...
StevenAU2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2003, 06:28   #5 (permalink)
Birth, Drift, Death...

they should be under warranty - we do commo ones under warranty all the time. i mean ALL THE TIME, as in, 2 cars a day type thing. we call it a rake shudder.

the new holden policy is if the car has has a shudder before and the discs have been machined, if it comes back then the customer gets new discs for free.

dont expect new ones for free though, if they are undersize due to normal usage then odds on you will have to pay for new discs, if they are machinable then ford should pay for machining.

it also depends what your discs look like - if they are very grooved due to normal wear then they might make you pay, even though the shudder was there from the start - it will depend on how much the dealership values your custom - they might do it as a gesture of goodwill type thing.

i hope the salesman remembers you!!!

197.4hp at the wheels, 14.505@152.46km/h
Tuning in progress...
*CLICK TO SEE MY XR6*
I can get new Genuine Holden/Ford/Audi/Land Rover/Honda parts cheap, PM me!
Rollin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2003, 06:35   #6 (permalink)

Go get some DBA rotors (one of my better purchases in the last few months), I have been warned several times never to replace Ford rotors with genuine ones. Oh, ring the dealer and tell him where he can shove the old ones!
Old 04-15-2003, 16:51   #7 (permalink)
Two SC 61's = trouble

Generally clutch and brakes are not covered by warrenty if it's wear etc. They assume "abuse" on these parts. Unless something actually breaks as in pressure plate etc.
Buying car with this deffect is different though.. For the price of DBA's I wouldn't touch them with machining. How can they work better with metal removed? I'd rather pay slightly more and get a heaps better product!! After all these are your brakes. Machining just to take out shudder or pulses is not on really on.In a high performance vehicle...imo..
Passengers, myocardial infarction material..
R.I.P Possum...
ebxr8240 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2003, 17:08   #8 (permalink)
JR
Editor on P Plates

Ken, it's not a problem exclusive to the AU.

My BA XR6 started to get the shudder at about 8000km, and while in Melbourne for the FPV day AusXH noticed I also had a dragging noise from the rear brakes.

When I took the car in to have the BEM replaced at 11,000kms, my front brakes were done UNDER WARRANTY with no arguments from Dale Ford at Bankstown (I presume this was your dealer), and the handbrake was adjusted to stop the dragging.

They didn't even bat an eyelid when I mentioned the shudder, just said they'd machine them straight away.

Hope this is of some help.

Cheers
Jason
Editor: Street Fords Magazine - Issue #1 on sale MARCH 2005
E-mail: jr@streetfords.com

Co Founder: 3FB Inc.
To see my old BA Falcon XR6, click HERE
JR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2003, 17:23   #9 (permalink)
Two SC 61's = trouble

Good on Dale Ford for that Jason!!

Thats good P.R .But they don't have to.
Morally they should.
Fords imo have always had small'sh brakes.They got faster, sleeker, heavier but size remained the same..
Passengers, myocardial infarction material..
R.I.P Possum...
ebxr8240 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2003, 06:24   #10 (permalink)

with the change to non asbestos pads there is going to be big problems with warping rotors.As the new pads run hotter unless you bed your rotors in properly you will overheat the rotors which will result in warping,machining will fix it for between 10,000 and 20,000ks then they will have to be machined again as the part on the rotor that overheated is harder then the rest of the rotor so will not wear.The only cure is new rotors and bed them in properly ie: do not get them overhot when new
Advertisement

Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > The Garage - Tech Forums > General Tech