Warranty...Sigh - Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars
Ford Forum Ford Forum

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
ยป Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > The Garage - Tech Forums > General Tech
Register Home Forum Active Topics Photo Gallery Auto Loans Garage Mark Forums Read Auto Escrow

General Tech Have a question that is not covered by one of the other categories? This is the forum for all other items not specifically covered in other categories.

FordForums.com is the premier Ford Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-26-2002, 14:59   #1 (permalink)
Turbo Pilot

Warranty...Sigh

I had backed down a friends driveway, got passenger side wheel off onto the grass, tried to go forward, and nothing but wheel on the grass spinning maddly. Called tow-truck to get me back up driveway.

Now I was fairly certain that this was not correct operation of a "high performance limited slip differential" so off i go to dealer and drop it off today for them to fix under warranty with a few other problems.

Service guy says "Yep, had a few of these where the oil gets sludgey in the diff, stops the cones working properly, all we do is drain it and replace the oil. However if this is the problem then your gonna have to pay for it because that would be a maintainence service"

I said "your kidding 25000Km, the LSD don't work and you tell me that changing the diff oil is part of my maintainence?"

He replies, "Yep, cause Ford won't warrant the oil, its the same as changing the engine oil."

I told him to check it out and we would discuss it further then

CHEEKY BASTARDS
Advertisement

Old 11-26-2002, 15:19   #2 (permalink)
Veteran Ford Member

If it were me I would NOT accept that. They supply a LSD with warranty.. unless you changing the fluid in normal at 25000Ks I don't see how they can make you pay.

I know there are good dealers out there.. but one glaring fault in Ford's comeback always seems to be dealers.....
xacoupe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2002, 16:10   #3 (permalink)

if there is no resistance on one wheel with the current LSD then you wont go anywhere. I have a friend that has an XR. If one wheel is off the ground or has no load on it then no go. Just pull the hand brake on slightly and you'll be able to drive off. Its annoying but thats the way its been for a long time.
harasn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2002, 18:30   #4 (permalink)
Australian Member

re

I was asking a guy one day about fitting LSD to my 4WD and he told me not to bother and instead fit diff locks. He reckons that the LSD's tend to stop working after about 20000-30000Kms.
shorsfall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2002, 04:40   #5 (permalink)

If the car is under warranty and the warranty service doesn't state a diff oil change then you you cant be held responsible for that! This is assuming you have had all your warranty services done. Just have a look in your service record book, that'll tell you if a diff oil change is required. Doesn't sound right though.....

If your having problems with ya ford dealer, call the Ford head office in Melbourne and ask to speak to the national service manager, I spoke to him about a problem with my wifes 2000 laser, and funnily enough the dealer then kindly called me and asked me to bring the car in to be repaired....
BundyBlackXR8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2002, 15:17   #6 (permalink)
Two SC 61's = trouble

It is only a "limited" slip diff.It will not drive from one wheel if the other doesn't have sufficient traction.Check out the torque resistance on the lsd ? It's not that high...

I'd say your oil is o/k as well!!
Passengers, myocardial infarction material..
R.I.P Possum...
ebxr8240 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > The Garage - Tech Forums > General Tech