Ford Forums banner

Water Sensor

3K views 8 replies 5 participants last post by  jdaley 
#1 ·
I have changed the Dash in my ED gli and i now want to know how to make my radiotor water sensor light work. Is it just a case of getting a Water level sensor, putting it in and swapping the wire from the old water level light.
OR do i have to change the whole water tank over to one with the proper sensor.
Will the wires i need for the sensor be in my car if its a GLI??
Please Help.
Also is the easiest way to cahnge the oil sensor to take the intake manifold off?
Thanks for any input

#2 ·
You can swap the oil pressure switch from underneath the car (and it's easier than taking off the manifold) but it's worth paying $10 and buying a special oil pressure swich socket. Do it when you do your next oil and filter change and the oil filter isn't in the way.

You should be able to put the coolant level sensor in the existing overflow tank and the wiring should also be there already.

#3 ·
Oil pressure sensor - do it from underneath. Use ramps or a hoist.

#7 ·
some oil pressure sensors can be taken off with a spanner (i think EB-D use these) but on XD's and older cars (commos too) they need a special oil pressure sensor socket. it looks like a big spark plug socket, but the 'hex' on the inside is rounded. be careful when fitting the new one, the thread is tapered so if you do it up too tight it can crack the block- i dont know if the thread on EB-D ones are tapered.

#8 ·
They are tapered and have the rounded corners (or uneven length sides) so the special socket works best. I must admit the first time I undid one I used an old plumber's tap doubled ended box spanner with an old 3/8 drive socket jammed in one end - the special tool works much better but note most have a stepped arrangement with a smaller fitting (the one needed for the Ford) inside and you have to push and turn the socket to make it fit the sender unit.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.