Ford Forums banner

Weird noise

2K views 7 replies 5 participants last post by  tRevHead 
#1 ·
I have an AU2 SR done 30,000kms. There's a strange 'rubbing' noise coming from (I think) the front RHS wheel when I slowly coast around a LH turn. It sort of sounds like..."wood
wood wood wood"....It seems to do it mostly when its cold. This has been looked at by the Ford service technicians on a few occasions but each time the noise is not apparent! Doesn't that rot your socks!!?? They reckon they've looked at all possibilities and found nothing wrong. That gives me the shits. There has to be a reason for this noise. The tyre is not rubbing on anything.
What could it be? Has anyone had a similar problems or got any ideas?
tRev.

#4 ·
You needed new tyres after 30,000 kms??? Cars these days seem to chop out the fronts so soon, don't they?

My XF has been so gentle on tyres ever since I lowered it, even though I give it a caning around corners. I've been getting something like 80,000 kms out of them (I haven't recorded exactly).

Welcome to FF, anyway. I migrated from Google Groups (alt.ford.falcon) where the activity has pretty much died. I still have unanswered questions sitting there from months ago. I think a lot of people are coming from there.

See you 'round.

#6 ·
I had what sounds a similar noise in my XF ute (rear though) until recently, and of course it never did it for my mechanic. Recently I spent mega bucks on the suspension and brakes, and the noise has gone. What was found though was the rear discs were gripping slightly when cold (not just on braking either) - enough to perhaps make that odd noise. Maybe yours are out of line slightly, and rubbing when the car is on a slight angle?

#7 ·
Some of the other guys have reported ball joint problems. You might want to check some of the other threads and see if you can pick anything up. I know Venom XR :bowd: has written up about this a couple of times. XR Strider started a thread a little while back about AU problems and so did StevenAU If I come across the threads again in my travels I'll let you know.

Welcome all the same, and I hope you get us much help from the guys in this forum as I have.

#8 ·
weird noise

Thanks for the quick replies.
Talking about replacing tyres so soon, I had to fit a caster-camber kit to it as the front end was so out-of-wack it pulled real bad to the left and it scrubbed out my RHF tyre on the inside. Of course there's no adjustment for this so at just 30,000kms I had to fit the kit and a new tyre with the (new) spare going up on the LHS. Not a warranty job either - thats another story!!
The noise was there before all this and is still there now. I've just got back from a drive and I noticed the noise slightly doing a RH turn at a round-about.
I'm thinking it might be a wheel bearing (cone inner race)spinning on the axle or the cup spinning in the hub. It also could be the brake pads rubbing. I dunno!! It sure as hell is giving me the proverbial shites!!
tRev.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.