Ford Forums banner

Weird Noise.. Help!

2K views 6 replies 5 participants last post by  chris ea 
#1 ·
Hey guys,

I was driving in the city the other day, and I realised, because of all the cars parked on the side of the road and the brick walls and all that (sound rebounds back towards me), that my car makes a constant squeeling (screeching) when I'm moving. The faster I'm moving, the closer together the squeels are, the slower, the further apart they are.

Obviously, the sound is coming from either my brakes, diff, steering rack. It is the most annoying sound, and it makes my car sound like a heap of shite! Maybe the wheel bearings? I don't know much, and it's a hard sound to describe.

I hope you guys know what i'm talking about, and hopefully anyone who has had this same experience, please HELP!

Thanks
Dave

#2 ·
Yeah I think my car does that also. I assume it's the wheel bearings. Not sure how much it would cost to have them professionally re-greased.

#4 ·
Does it sound at all like the squeak you get when you apply your brakes???
I had a problem with my EA's front end squeaking, and what it turned out to be was the front calipers seizing and not retracting fully (meaning that the pads were always in slight contact with the disc, which resulted in constant squeaking/squealing - a common problem on ea's), this was coupled with the fact that my rotors were slightly warped (another common EA problem), which meant that the squeaking noise would occur on and off in rapid succession, speeding up as the car did.

Worth checking out, anyway...

Not sure how much it would cost to have them professionally re-greased.
Even if the bearings aren't causing you're problem, it's a good idea to grease them every now and again! :p
Any decent mechanic should have no trouble greasing wheel bearings, and it shouldn't take any more than half an hour or so. So it shouldn't cost you very much...

Dave

#5 ·
Thanks guys for the advice, i'll ask a mechanic soon to check it out.

Thanks again,
Dave.

p.s. it does sound similar to a brake noise, but I checked all my pads, and they are fine. Maybe my calipers are stuffed, and the disc is warped slightly. I'll get them to look at them!

#6 ·
my rear calipers have had a problem with seizing since ive had the car. ive had them rebuilt by three different mechanics. the second time it was stuffed i demanded my money back. at the last mechanic ive taken it back TWO TIMES after the intitial rebuild, (three visits in 3 months) and they fitted new seal kits again. they say the caliper cant be worn itself, and that it must be a problem with the seals. i havent taken it back again, but its beginning to play up again... and ive had enough of the ****ing thing!

#7 ·
Brake squeel

I have also had this problem since I have had my 89 EA. Had it looked at twice, the first guy replaced the calipers, pads and machined the disks cause the calipers were seizing.
3 months later the same noies came back.
The second guy said that he could not see what the noise was but that the brakes were working fine.

I have had the noise now for over 6 months and the brakes have been working fine. If I drive through dusty roads the brakes stop making the noise. Maybe it has got something to do with the pads being too wet??

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.