weird problems eb xr6 - Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars
Ford Forum Ford Forum

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
ยป Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > The Garage - Tech Forums > General Tech
Register Home Forum Active Topics Photo Gallery Auto Loans Garage Mark Forums Read Auto Escrow

General Tech Have a question that is not covered by one of the other categories? This is the forum for all other items not specifically covered in other categories.

FordForums.com is the premier Ford Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-11-2003, 02:14   #1 (permalink)
351 windsor for the xr

weird problems eb xr6

well after buying an eb xr6 of an oldman and driving it hard for a while its developed problems.

problem 1: i chacked all the earth points and the speedo still jumps between o-20.

problem 2: its developed a small shake on idle.

problem 3: it's got a cat back 2inch exhaust with a hot dog and muffler but the car feels slow as it's slower than my mates vp on gas.

problem 4: crusing at 100kays on the freeway go to give it a little squirt to pass another car and it's as if the clutch slips but this ones a auto and then it hooks up the power and goes.

problem:5 sometimes the intermediate wipers work and sometimes they don't and some times when u start the car the stereo won't work and the power windows won't aswell then i switch it of and on and then it all works fine.

for a car with 161kw and 3.45:1 lsd its slow as hell and sometimes rev's out to 2000rpm and then starts to go but slow as i said i have chacked the earth points and they are tight as i'm thinking of changing the rotor button dizzy cap and leads but don;t know where to start.

sorry for the long post thanks for any suggestions.
TUFESP is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-12-2003, 05:20   #2 (permalink)
351 windsor for the xr

can anyone please help me it's driving me nuts and i don't want to blow my money on rubbish instead of localising the problem.
Old 02-12-2003, 05:32   #3 (permalink)

1. Don't know but look at your speedo transducer (bolted to gearbox) could be dirty contacts but you'd expect it to do it over 20 as well

2, 3 & 4 - Do you know when it had a tune last? If you don't know, I'd personally change the lot - plugs, leads, distributor cap and rotor and don't forget the fuel filter too.

5. Don't know but i remeber my XD had a similar problem and it turned out to be the contacts on the ignition switch. Could also check the relays/fuses.

Hope it helps yah

Paul B
XR6WGN
Old 02-12-2003, 05:35   #4 (permalink)
I Love Forced Induction.

Bro sounds like you need to give the car a good, check over for starters, do a service, change all filters, and oil, check all belts, then take it to a dyno tuner, see what they find, I suggest tim sheather at ELECTRONIC AUTOMOTIVE in EPPING melbourne.
Old 02-12-2003, 15:16   #5 (permalink)
Soon to become: Jake_XR6

Sounds like the auto tranny is on the way out.

Also take it to an auto-elec to check the electronics.
Air Intake: T-Series, K&N Filter.
Brakes: Calipers painted red, DBA slotted rotors & Lucas pads.
Windows: Tinted.
Gearstick: Shortened.
Fuel: Dual Fuel.
Dyno: 143 rwKw (Dynodynamics - shootout mode).
Heathcote: 15.87 @ 89.1 Mph.
BLACK XR6-VCT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2003, 16:41   #6 (permalink)
SB3
E-Series Member

Quote:
it's got a cat back 2inch exhaust with a hot dog and muffler but the car feels slow as it's slower than my mates vp on gas.
Isn't 2" exhaust piping a little restricting for an xr6? I suggest you get a 2.5" system put in.
Quote:
i chacked all the earth points and the speedo still jumps between o-20
Quote:
for a car with 161kw and 3.45:1 lsd its slow as hell
Eb Xr6's came out with 3.27:1 lsd.. did you replace it afterwards with the 3.45, or did you buy the car like that? Just curious. If that's the case your speedo is probably out aswell. My mate had this problem with his ed. But i wouldn't know if that'd have any relation to the 0-20 jump? Don't think that's a big deal anyway.

Sam
SB3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2003, 18:49   #7 (permalink)

SB3, EB XR6s came with 3.45 diff, not 3.27.
1993 EBII Fairmont (Now wrecking, PM if you want any parts)
1988 Nissan R31 Skyline
Martin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2003, 04:18   #8 (permalink)
Birth, Drift, Death...

yeah dammit!! 3.45 all the way baby!!!! (owner of a EB XR6...)

Quote:
2, 3 & 4 - Do you know when it had a tune last? If you don't know, I'd personally change the lot - plugs, leads, distributor cap and rotor and don't forget the fuel filter too.
yes, new plugs, leads, dizzy cap and rotor are all the first things to give trouble, also replace fuel filter (make sure you put it in the right way!!)

a 2" exhaust is smaller than stock!!! get a 2.5" mandrel bent one, get the shop to check the cat out, they have a habit of melting inside which reduces power. get a new cat (normal one, hi-flow dont do much IMHO) and extractors as well if you have the money.

change oil and filter, and also auto oil and filter, you might as well it probably needs it anyway.

after all this take the +ve terminal off the battery (leaving the ignition on) and leave it off for about 10-15 mins, then turn the ignition off and refit the terminal.

start it up and take it for a strap!!!

i have a manual EB XR6, has 135,000k on it, has Mock extractors+2.5" exhaust, 16degrees base timing, pod filter and running on BP ultimate (not forgetting a stereo that weighs at least 50kg)

i did a 15.505@90.12MPH (wheels say stockers do a 15.7) at willowbank (a slightly uphill track) so yours should go well when you get a decent exhaust and new service items on it!!!

LOVE THE XR!!!!

197.4hp at the wheels, 14.505@152.46km/h
Tuning in progress...
*CLICK TO SEE MY XR6*
I can get new Genuine Holden/Ford/Audi/Land Rover/Honda parts cheap, PM me!
Rollin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2003, 08:29   #9 (permalink)
351 windsor for the xr

i think i'll try all this the problem with this one is thats its an ex ford company car it has power windows and alpine premium sound but being an ex ford car who the hell knows what happened to it i love it heaps.

rollin does taking off the positive terminal reset the computer and what difference did the 16deg base timing do does it affect ur fuel economy cause i do min 80-100kms a day at the moment i goy 550kms of a full tank on it.
Old 02-13-2003, 23:53   #10 (permalink)
SB3
E-Series Member

I always thought EB & ED xr6's had 3.27 in them? 'Drive' website also says they have 3.27's? But if they have 3.45's that's awesome stuff!
SB3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > The Garage - Tech Forums > General Tech