Weird starter solenoid problem - Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars
Ford Forum Ford Forum

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
ยป Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > The Garage - Tech Forums > General Tech
Register Home Forum Active Topics Photo Gallery Auto Loans Garage Mark Forums Read Auto EscrowInsurance

General Tech Have a question that is not covered by one of the other categories? This is the forum for all other items not specifically covered in other categories.

FordForums.com is the premier Ford Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-11-2006, 11:50   #1 (permalink)

Weird starter solenoid problem

1987 F150 4x4 with 302.

While replacing the positive battery cable, I snapped the positive bolt on the starter solenoid. So I replaced the starter solenoid with an aftermarket part.

The engine fired up but the starter kept spinning, hellacious noise, I tried to shut off the ignition and it kept running until I pulled the positive battery cable to kill it.

I took the starter solenoid off my neighbor's 92 F150, put it on my truck, and it started fine.

So I figured it was a bad replacement part so I went and got another part. Same thing happened again with the starter spinning and the engine not shutting off.

The original solenoid had two thick posts and one small post. The same with my neighbor's. The replacement part had two thick post and two smaller posts. I connected the wire to the small post as per the instructions. Same thing occurred with the starter spinning and the engine not shutting off.

Any ideas?
jdg60 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-12-2006, 09:11   #2 (permalink)
wasnt me

Re: Weird starter solenoid problem

did u try the wire on both small posts? this almost sounds like my trouble with a voltage regulator on my ford, old one died, got a new one that wouldnt work right, returned it for another and same thing. i went to another parts store to get a different brand and it now works fine. sometimes a certain brand will just not cooperate with your vehicle.
Old 11-12-2006, 11:06   #3 (permalink)

Thanks for the reply 390wagon.

I did try it on both small posts.

Just from talking to people, I'm guessing that the problem is a coincidence of bad replacement parts.

I'm going to the Ford Dealer tomorrow.

If a genuine Ford part doesn't work, then I'm back to the drawing board.
Old 11-13-2006, 07:46   #4 (permalink)

Re: Weird starter solenoid problem-follow up problem solved

Thanks for the replies.

I just wanted to follow up. I got a solenoid from Ford and it worked fine. It cost $40 with tax compared to $11 but the cheap one caused me all kinds of grief, lost work time, and possibly a damaged starter.

My rule of thumb has always been to buy the highest quality tools and didn't apply that philosophy to parts.

Lesson learned.

btw - if this problem happens to you, make sure you get the solonoid with 3 posts, not the one with 4 posts.
Old 11-13-2006, 15:21   #5 (permalink)
wasnt me

Old 11-25-2006, 07:58   #6 (permalink)

confused Re: Weird starter solenoid problem

I'm back.

: (

After a week of not having any problems the problem returned.

Anyone think it is possible that there is a short in the starter?

I'm banging my head against the wall.

OWWWWWWWWWWW!
Old 11-26-2006, 16:49   #7 (permalink)
Always the student

I assume the same problem of the starter won't quit turning without removing the battery cable? Try tapping the starter with a hamer and see if it quits. If so, replace the starter. (even if it don't, it could still be the starter)
thefonz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2006, 18:15   #8 (permalink)

Thanks for the reply Fonz. Replacing the starter is my next move.

It's times like this I feel like going into debt for a new or newer F150 but I really love my old truck.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > The Garage - Tech Forums > General Tech