Ford Forums banner

Weird Ticking Noise

4K views 7 replies 5 participants last post by  Chad_XF 
#1 ·
I have an EL GLi and everytime i accelerate there is this strange ticking sound coming from the front left hand side and it sounds like it is under the bonnet

When i had the car at ford getting checked out i asked the guy about it and he said that is a picter (sp?) valve and thats it quite normal

does anyone have any ideas what it is is it the above thing, is there even such a thing

its driving me crazy ticking everytime i drive

thanks

#3 ·
HI Fordel

Sounds like a problem i had, it was the valve, which is located in one of the lines that leads to the charcoal canister.(Lines are near the airbox)

All i did was take the valve out, there is an electrical plug, then take it out of line.
Then i sucked & blew through the valve a few times.
Reinstalled it, started the car and drove.
That was over 12 months ago, and havnt had a problem since..

Hope this is the problem, if that dosnt work the valves aarnt that expensive to replace.

cheers
kerry

#6 ·
Its the CANP or cannister purge valve and it usually ticks when it's resting on the chassis rail instead of being suspended in mid air by the connecting hoses like it is meant too be. Well it ticks all the time and is meant to but you only hear it when it is resting on something that can transfer the sound. The connecting hoses were a red orange colour if they are original.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.