Welch plug? - Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars
Ford Forum Ford Forum

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
ยป Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > The Garage - Tech Forums > General Tech
Register Home Forum Active Topics Photo Gallery Auto Loans Garage Mark Forums Read Auto Escrow

General Tech Have a question that is not covered by one of the other categories? This is the forum for all other items not specifically covered in other categories.

FordForums.com is the premier Ford Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-28-2002, 20:25   #1 (permalink)
Ex Member

Welch plug?

After 8 months of procrastination, I've finally investigated the slow coolant loss in my Nf v8 fairlane.

Just recenlty i had the timing cover replaced which corroded right though, i assumed that was going to be the end of my coolant worries.. I was wrong. there is still a small leak which has allways been there since i bought the car, nothing to be worried about really.

I found it comming from the left hand head at the front, (facing the front of the car) not where it joins to the block, but from a round hole about 5cm in diameter, Is this a welch plug? What would of caused this to happen? corrosion maybe? Is this normal for a car thats just ticked over 100,000k's? how much would it be to have it changed?

Much releived after it not being a head gasket. :s5
Advertisement

Old 09-29-2002, 15:07   #2 (permalink)

Is this groundhog day? I thought I saw a reply to this yesterday, or do I need to increase the dosage.

This is a welch plug, easy to replace, just make sure you run 50/50 antifreeze and water and change it every year. Top up with 50/50, if you use plain water you will dilute it.

If you have corrosion like this, I would check the coolant for electrolysis. Stray electrical current running through the coolant will cause heaps of corrosion problems.

I have got the same car as you, 95 NF V8, 220,000k's,no probs yet
Old 09-29-2002, 19:42   #3 (permalink)
Ex Member

Quote:
Originally posted by TopGhia
Is this groundhog day? I thought I saw a reply to this yesterday, or do I need to increase the dosage.

This is a welch plug, easy to replace, just make sure you run 50/50 antifreeze and water and change it every year. Top up with 50/50, if you use plain water you will dilute it.

If you have corrosion like this, I would check the coolant for electrolysis. Stray electrical current running through the coolant will cause heaps of corrosion problems.

I have got the same car as you, 95 NF V8, 220,000k's,no probs yet
I thought electrolisys is what sheilas did to their legs. But how do I check for that?

Its obviosly happening as in the cars history the radiator has allready been changed at like 50,000k's and the timing cover was totaly rotted out at 100,000k's...

Have you changed yours yet? I'm told its a common problem and its horridly expencive to replace, if you go for genuine which i did.

:s5
Old 09-30-2002, 00:19   #4 (permalink)

Have you got a digital multimeter? You can get a cheap one for around $20, I bought mine on-line, forget where though, Dick Smith should have one. You can use it for checking battery condition etc, so it is money well spent.

Right oh.

With the MM, turn to 20 volts, open the coolant top, put the red + in the coolant, don't touch the sides, and the black - on the neg battery terminal. Should read .3V or less (mine is .09). If it is more than .3V, you probably have electrolyis happening . Do this with engine off, and again with engine running with your normal power goodies running, AC, lights, radio.

Electrolysis is caused by some electrical gear grounding through the coolant, ie not earthed properly.

Let us know what your reading is.
Old 09-30-2002, 00:27   #5 (permalink)

One more thing, do it after you put new coolant in it, high reading can also mean the coolant needs changing.
Old 10-01-2002, 18:51   #6 (permalink)
Shh i'm huntin more power

Electrolysis and aluminium dont mix at all. Make sure you do this check as it doesn't take long for the damage to occur...
Jase_ELXR8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2002, 05:12   #7 (permalink)
Officially Bored with 347

By the way mate, spend the extra few $$ and fork out for brass core plugs, install them using loctite 262 problem solved...
If you need a hand or any tools Im offering my services free mate, as Ive been there done that too

Member of the "TKTDSGM " Group..
svo347 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2002, 05:31   #8 (permalink)
Ex Member

this is sounding too difficult, im only a computer nerd. I think i'll ring up my mechanic... thanks..
Old 10-02-2002, 14:11   #9 (permalink)

Dave,

At least buy a multimeter, you can use that all the time. If you go the mechanic way on the welch plugs, at least take svo302's advice and get him to install brass ones.

"A journey of a thousand miles begins with the first step"
Old 10-03-2002, 16:12   #10 (permalink)

If you had used brass plugs you wouldnt know you had a problem untill some more expensive and harder to fix part rotted out. Am I right?
julian is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > The Garage - Tech Forums > General Tech