What Can I Do?? - Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars
Ford Forum Ford Forum

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
ยป Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > The Garage - Tech Forums > General Tech
Register Home Forum Active Topics Photo Gallery Auto Loans Garage Mark Forums Read Auto Escrow

General Tech Have a question that is not covered by one of the other categories? This is the forum for all other items not specifically covered in other categories.

FordForums.com is the premier Ford Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-21-2002, 00:50   #1 (permalink)
Chasing 500rwkw

What Can I Do??

I have a stock XF and am after ideas how to make my car go a little better.
Its a 4.1L carby, leaded and alloy head.
What have you guys with XD, XE or XF 6's done to your car to make it move faster? What exhaust, extractors do you guys have?
Should i change the carb, cam, air intake,get the head worked etc. Please give details.
Is there anything else that can be done short of turbo cos of insurance reasons?
By the way its a 4 speed manual.

Thanks heap in anticipation.
Dan
DansEdgli is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-21-2002, 03:24   #2 (permalink)
Two SC 61's = trouble

Go efi.. Check trading post etc mills are cheap in there for them now.. www.tradingpost.com.au
Passengers, myocardial infarction material..
R.I.P Possum...
ebxr8240 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2002, 04:27   #3 (permalink)
XR8 XR6 Club of Victoria

Warming up a 250

Agree - go EFI if possible (EECIV out of XF not the Bosch version that was in the XE)
The bits should be cheap to get and will deliver a good result.
Extractors - get HM Headers, they make a set for the EFI setup. that would suit the carb version as well (carb version extractors no good for EFI due to clearances).
Suggest you have them JetHotted or wrap in extractor bandage due to heat generated.
Go 2.5" all the way to the back - most exhaust places came do this but choose good quality components.
Headwork and cam - go to Jim Mock - he has heaps of experience with these motors (ask to drive the 250 ute).

Otherwise, get a EL motor (in preference to EB/ED/EF) and stick that in - result would be close to hotting up the 250 - but a little more fiddly and more hassle with insurance.
TBH: (the better half) drives an ED XR6 wagon (Mock Dev 4 160rwkw, JMM extractors, 4 electric windows, Ghia door panels in XR trim, rear head & arm rests in XR trim, Momo s/wheel with Cruise, EL thermos, EBGT wheels, etc) things to come soon = EECV upgrade.
Muzza is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2002, 08:14   #4 (permalink)
Chasing 500rwkw

how difficult would EFI be to put on? Will a gregory's or hayne's manual be enough direction or should i just take the whole motor. The motor i have now is in excellent shape.
I was looking to buy a donor cos my interior is shocking and it lacks power steering so EFI sounds like a plan then exhaust and headwork.
Thanks guys
Dan
Old 10-21-2002, 17:44   #5 (permalink)

I plonked 4 grand into my 4.1, complete rebuild, 40 thou overbore, stage 2 cam, big bore head, ultra flow manifold, holley 650 carb, MSD 6ALN, blaster 2 coil, holley blue fuel pump, malpassi regulator...nothin flash. Goes alright....a good kick in the bum!

http://www.hoon.tk
Ford XE Green n Gold 4.1L IL6 Nitrous Assisted. Best time to date: 14.338 @ 98MPH
Mazda 626 Faded Blue 2L IL4 NA Diesel!
Hoon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2002, 19:41   #6 (permalink)

extractors, 2.1/4 exhaust system and cam works a treat. is it leaded? i would steer clear of xf efi systems they can be a huge headache most mechanics shudder when they see them. carby set up is foolproof and there is a lot of horsepower to be had if set up right.
if you really want to go efi look at later model conversion i.e EF MPI.
but really for the money involved in changing to efi you could get far better results just modding your current motor
61sg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2002, 19:51   #7 (permalink)
Chasing 500rwkw

Yeah Its leaded. Hmmm now im confused. Some say go EFI some say dont.
Old 10-21-2002, 20:20   #8 (permalink)

can also work head shave it a little to raise compression.

depends how far you want to go a 4.0mpi is a better base to start if you want to really extract some power but a XF 4 spd running a diff as high as 2.92:1 with mild mods will easily outrun a AU stock six.
61sg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2002, 20:28   #9 (permalink)
Chasing 500rwkw

In that case ill mod the engine i got. I dont want to spend too much on the car as i have a project mini in the garage i want to get started on as well. If i can get it to outrun an AU 6 then ill be plenty happy with it.
Ill start with extractors and zorst then get head and cam done. I might ring up the Mocks and see what they can do for me.

Thanks guys
Dan
Old 10-21-2002, 21:07   #10 (permalink)

Welcome to the dark side....mmwwaaaahahahahaahahahaa!!! (insert more evil laughter)

http://www.hoon.tk
Ford XE Green n Gold 4.1L IL6 Nitrous Assisted. Best time to date: 14.338 @ 98MPH
Mazda 626 Faded Blue 2L IL4 NA Diesel!
Hoon is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > The Garage - Tech Forums > General Tech