What Coolant for 4.0? - Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars
Ford Forum Ford Forum

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
ยป Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > The Garage - Tech Forums > General Tech
Register Home Forum Active Topics Photo Gallery Auto Loans Garage Mark Forums Read Auto Escrow

General Tech Have a question that is not covered by one of the other categories? This is the forum for all other items not specifically covered in other categories.

FordForums.com is the premier Ford Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-31-2006, 01:26   #1 (permalink)
BlkEB2

What Coolant for 4.0?

Anyone know what coolant 'should' be used in the I6......I've been using just bursons concentrate mixed to 33% but have been told by an ex ford mech. to use the proper ford blue stuff that apparently only has inhibitor in it but no anti freeze/boil (Ethylene Glycol).....so which one.....i reckon you still gotta have some anti stuff in there to keep your temp down for summer ???
BlkEB2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-01-2006, 03:42   #2 (permalink)
ford is king

Re: What Coolant for 4.0?

which ever one in the shop suites it.
Old 02-05-2006, 18:28   #3 (permalink)
BlkEB2

which ever one in the shop suites it

No this is not correct....I've just dropped my rad off for a clean out/rebiuld at my local Natrad shop and he says it's inproper coolant that causes the prob in the first place......All the I6's should be running NatRads own coolant only and for twelve months only then flush out and fit new coolant again cos long life coolant gets contaminated by air when you take the cap off anyways.....Apparently even Ford coolant is not as good as the NatRad stuff so i'm sticking to this now!!!
BlkEB2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2006, 18:53   #4 (permalink)
ford is king

and how gulable are you to listen to them,of course they'll tell you you should only use there stuff,they want your money,,any consintrated glycol mix is suitable for them.

bit i would use the same brand as it's the mixing of brands that stuffs them up.

do not how ever use the premixed stuff as it is not suitable for the alloy i6 engines.
Old 02-18-2006, 01:59   #5 (permalink)

Just stick with the ford motorcraft stuff mate.Those rad shops will always push their own gear.
CLARKEY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2006, 04:43   #6 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlkEB2
Anyone know what coolant 'should' be used in the I6......I've been using just bursons concentrate mixed to 33% but have been told by an ex ford mech. to use the proper ford blue stuff that apparently only has inhibitor in it but no anti freeze/boil (Ethylene Glycol).....so which one.....i reckon you still gotta have some anti stuff in there to keep your temp down for summer ???
I use the cheep green stuff with the addition of the toyota tablet , toyota dealers have them and it really does help seal and stuff stay in better condition , I do not have exlectrolisis probles and have run the mix now for several hundred k with good success.
atec77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > The Garage - Tech Forums > General Tech