What a Mission! - Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars
Ford Forum Ford Forum

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
ยป Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > The Garage - Tech Forums > General Tech
Register Home Forum Active Topics Photo Gallery Auto Loans Garage Mark Forums Read Auto Escrow

General Tech Have a question that is not covered by one of the other categories? This is the forum for all other items not specifically covered in other categories.

FordForums.com is the premier Ford Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-09-2002, 23:50   #1 (permalink)
96 EF Futura

What a Mission!

Picked my car up from the mechanic on saturday afternoon, as I pulled in I saw the bonnet was up and knew something was wrong.

"ive put the new timing chain on but she still rattles like shit"

Im thinking...shit $230 down the drain.......got it home pulled the valve cover off and the chain was as loose as hell, Removed the tensioner and compared it to one at my dads wreckers.....mine was buggered and wasnt even putting ANY tension on the chain!

Anyway its quiet now so thats the main thing....just thought I would let everyone know that its probably a good idea to get a new tensioner fitted when doing a timing chain...just to be on the safe side.

My mate also bought a 90 model 30th Anniversary on the weekend for $800....ex cab, fully rebuilt motor and 4 speed auto about 160,000k ago, drives a dream just needs a different colour and carpet!

His is WAY faster than mine off the line, both are CFI 4 speed autos...did the 30th anniversary have a different diff ratio?? maybe its because my gearbox is ready to pack it in.

Also has anyone seen the central locking kit at Brisbane car sound for $38? wonder how easy it is to install

Lowered EF Futura
Black Steelies ( too cheap to buy proper mags )
SiX_iN_a_RoW is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-10-2002, 02:13   #2 (permalink)
1996 Manual EFII GLi

Central locking kit is easy to install. I got mine from Dick Smiths.
LittleJon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2002, 13:25   #3 (permalink)
96 EF Futura

Thanks for the info LittleJonEA...how much was the kit from Dick Smiths?

Lowered EF Futura
Old 11-10-2002, 13:37   #4 (permalink)
THE VILLAGE LUNITIC

i work at super cheap auto, they have a DIY kit in there for $37 and it is easy to install

White NL Fairlane Ghia, 'TQE', Superlows, Limo Tint, Pacemaker Tuned length comp spec extractors and lukey exhaust system with 5L cat, ported/polished head to flow 330hp, custom grind AU BILLET cam, chiptorque HP4 reprogramable chip, Alpine MP3/DVD/CD headunit, 550W alpine V series AMP, 12' Alpine Sub, 18" Advanti Chrome Alloys.

191.3RWHP 15.301@92MPH willowbank raceway. ghay 3.08 single spinner:(
UNR8D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2002, 13:38   #5 (permalink)
1996 Manual EFII GLi

I got it for $39. I think it was on special though. But its usual price is about $45 i think. It gives you the control box. Miles of wire. Two Slave Thingies and Two Master Thingies and all the screws joining stuff that you need. And is connectable to a negative pulse alarm system.
LittleJon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2002, 14:53   #6 (permalink)
EA Falcon.com Member

Is that the Vision brand central locking? I had it fitted (Kit cost around $50) when I finally got rid of Fords shit facory "Dancing Doorlock" central locking. Couldn't be happier. If it's the same as what you're talking about you should definately get it.

3.9 CFI Falcon. King Springs, Monroe GT Shockers. Formula 1 Tinted windows. Pioneer 3350 Head Unit, 12" JL Audio Sub. 6"-9" Pioneer 3 Ways, 4" Clarion 2 Ways, 500watt Schneider Amp, 222watt Sony Xplode Amp. Really shitty 14" Jelly Beans
Clutterz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2002, 15:47   #7 (permalink)
EA Ford Fanatic

Installing the central locking is a cinch. I changed my locking system up to the EB fairmont ghia trim and locks and paid $25 from Dick Smith. Be careful with the Ex-taxi. I bought mine Ex-taxi, with the bloke telling me that the thing was never comisioned as a taxi- it was re-sprayed red. The more and more I got fixed on the car I realised that although the engine was rebuilt, it was everything around it that stuffed up. Water pumps, starter motor, pipes, valves, A/C. If it is Ex-taxi- get the interior changed from the synthetic to proper falcon interior. All up with seats, carpet, trims, central locking it has probably set me back $450, but the change it so great that if I sold it now, no-one would know that it was ever a taxi.
Old 11-11-2002, 00:34   #8 (permalink)
96 EF Futura

How do you mount the kits inside the doors? I've never actually had any experience with central locking....does it completely replace the factory locking mechanism?

The taxi was owned outright but the guy worked for Yellow Cabs, its currently still orange and has copies of the receipts, not to mention loads of plates and stickers under the hood with the dates things were done etc
The first thing he is going to do is change the interior! bloody horrible.

Lowered EF Futura
Old 11-11-2002, 04:11   #9 (permalink)
Birth, Drift, Death...

XM you better change your sig now!

i installed the $38 central locking into my 85 telstar (before i got the XR) and it was very easy, everything is colour coded and i think it took me two hours but im not sure, it was a while ago.

just make sure if you do fit it that you check it works properly BEFORE you put the door trims back on, that way you wont have a permanently locked door to deal with if you get it wrong...

197.4hp at the wheels, 14.505@152.46km/h
Tuning in progress...
*CLICK TO SEE MY XR6*
I can get new Genuine Holden/Ford/Audi/Land Rover/Honda parts cheap, PM me!
Rollin is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > The Garage - Tech Forums > General Tech