What mod to do? - Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars
Ford Forum Ford Forum

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
ยป Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > The Garage - Tech Forums > General Tech
Register Home Forum Active Topics Photo Gallery Auto Loans Garage Mark Forums Read Auto Escrow

General Tech Have a question that is not covered by one of the other categories? This is the forum for all other items not specifically covered in other categories.

FordForums.com is the premier Ford Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-17-2002, 19:01   #1 (permalink)
Blown ED XR6

Question What mod to do?

Hi people,
For my first post here I'd like some adive on what to do with my 93 ED XR6.

It's currently totally stock and I'm not extremely well versed on engine mods, so I'm up for suggestions on what to do.

I'm currently thinking extractors and exhaust first, then go modified intake. But what would be everyone's recommendation on these mods (brands, sizes, what else?).

I have a somewhat limited starting budget (maybe $2,500, or maybe possible $4,000 if a few thing pan out the way i plan).

So suggestions?

Cheers all...
Advertisement

Old 01-17-2002, 20:34   #2 (permalink)
Nacho Nacho Man!

My first mod would be a good set of headers and a 2.5" exhaust system. A larger snorkel (EL GT) and a K&N filter will help maximise the benefits of a better breathing setup. Some better leads and sparkies won't add horsepower, but will help maintain it.

While Tickford have a got a great cam grind on the current XR6's, your ED XR6 would benefit from a cam change having done the exhaust. Check out Crow cams.

$2500 will go well to doing the above. If you can stretch it to $4000, throw the rest on suspension.
Old 01-17-2002, 21:21   #3 (permalink)

An EL GT snokel wont work cause the Pre EF 6cyl Falcons suck air from the bottom of the airbox.

On mine, I cut a hole into the front of the airbox lid and installed a 50mm pipe fitting that I picked up at the hardware store. Because of the quad headlight setup it recieves some cold air through the circular headlights. It hasnt made any power difference low down, but from 3500-5000+rpm it has a shitload more power. Theres also room for another pipe fitting which ill be installing eventually.

Total cost for the 2 pipe fittings was $5

Ill be sure to post pics when I get my camera back:oo1:

Previous to doing this I also got a K&N replacement filter, didnt notice any power increase over the stock filter...But it is reusable.

Oh, and also check the throttle linkage is opening all the way when your foot is flat to floor, mine wasnt opening 100% because the accelerator cable has slightly stretched over time, I just added some spacers at the pedal-end as im a bit of a tight-ass to go and buy a new cable.
1993 EBII Fairmont (Now wrecking, PM if you want any parts)
1988 Nissan R31 Skyline
Martin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2002, 22:26   #4 (permalink)
Blown ED XR6

Thanks for the advice so far.

I've just gotten a quote for Pacemaker extractors, cat and system for $820, and i've been told the stock cat is fine to leave on (with only a 4kw gain by replacing it). Which shaves $250 off for a total of $570. (Mate of a mate is the manager)

I'll check my accelerator cable for any stretching as well, just in case

I actually have a Simota racing pod at home, which i had on in place of the stock air filter (piece of 3" exhaust pipe joining it to the stock intake hose) a while ago, but put the stock one back on for the warranty service

I'm yet to put it back in place, but probably won't yet as it didn't have a heatshield and probably wasn't helping. This time around, though I'll probably get a custom heatshield made up and rig up some kind of cold air induction (and have to check out this air intake behind the headlights). After I check my warranty to make sure I don't void it.

I'll probably, after that, fix up some minor defects present in the body styling; cracked the front spoiler where it joins in front of the LH wheel arch when entering a steep driveway :/ (hopefull i can get that fixed, otherwise anyone know where a replacement or alternative can be found?) and the rear "wing/spoiler" has become "unstuck" in the centre probably from lifting the boot with it or people leaning on it.

Other than that I'd like a set of 17s (not chrome, too much of that in this town) and then altered suspension.

Might look into replacing the cam too.

I can see my budget being blown away
Advertisement

Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > The Garage - Tech Forums > General Tech