Ford Forums banner

What Mods Have you done to your AU

3K views 27 replies 14 participants last post by  AUForte 
#1 ·
I have been searching around On FF and its a common question but im sorta only genaralising on one car model (Sorry Everyone Else). Thats why i want to start a new thread.

What mods no matter how small have you done to your Au the reason im asking is im now starting to spend some cash so every idea would come in handy!

Also can u list the approx price that would also be a great help

The only Thing i have done at the moment are clear indicator side lenses with the orange bulbs and all up it cost me about $30, i also brough tthe T-Series intake that was also Around $30 mark.

Im wanting to know Interior , Exterior and Engine mods and what u think of them.

Thanks to all who replys and helps me on my never ending mission of chaning my AU.

Steve B

#2 ·
Mine are all listed on the mods page of my web site below, with a few minor ones to come like chrome interior door handles ($25 a piece).

#4 ·
yep see my sig as well.... exhaust was around 950 including extractors and custom tip, mates rates. Stereo, most of it was a present, and when I add a sub, will probably be around 1500. I am adding XR8 wheels soon, for 1000 plus rubber, then the jarvis ford body kit.

#5 ·
oh yeah, the pedals were around 40-50 dollars, the blue dash was about 2 dollars for cellaphone (works tonnes better then changing led's), brake callipers painted was about 12 dollars for paint... I did these mods recently, coz I am broke, and the are cheap, but help individulise a car a bit! I think that paint which changes colours would look good on the interior of some au's (not mine though :-( I think its around 50 dollars for 3 cans.

#6 ·
AU11 Mods!... List is endless!..Biggest ( and cheapest)performance boost are GOOD flowing extractors ( Herrod complete to chrome tip about $2200)..Then cam,1.7 roller rockers, titanium valve retainers,H/duty valve springs, Good timing set,K&N air intake, Chip upgrade...All should produce 250kw ( MIN! )

#8 ·
Ok mods to my AUII Falcon S

* Cheap Mods
Chrome Interior Door Handles
Colour Match Exterior Mirrors and door Mouldings
Chrome Door and Bumper Strip (like Fairmont Ghia)
Chrome FALCON lettering on bootlid mould (replace existing AUII black lettering which wasn't visible against blue paint)
Chrome Bonnet Lip (from Fairmont Ghia)
Chrome Grill Lip with Original 'S' Insert (looks great)
(i like chrome)
Colour Match chrome inserts in headlights to match body paint (blue). Makes a huge difference to the look of the car.
Tickford Air Intake with Finer Filter element.
Momo Leather gear knob for manual shifter.

* Not so Cheap Mods
White dials with red illumination,
17x8 inch rims (Speedy Raven with chrome lip)
Pedders Lowered Suspension springs, shocks, bushes, etc
Lukey Headers,
Stainless Exhaust,
Kenwood Stereo, Pioneer DSP, SoundStream Rubicon Amps, Pioneer Sub, Xplod Splits.

ps.. How do i upload my pics, i can't find the link described in the instructions???

#12 ·
i was just wondering how much it costs for the Fairmont Ghia chrome stripes that go on the doors and around the bumpers. I went to get some today and they told me i could only get them for the bumpers and not the doors. If i wanted them for the doors i would have to buy new bump strips and get them painted, im like wtf?

#15 ·
Where to start - basically I have done most of the above, excluding any internal engine mods, to both an AU2 Forte and an AU1 XR6. Don't even want to think how much, 'cause I probably could've got a TE50 for me and a Laser for the missus!

If you really want me to list all of the mods, I can, but I keep doing stuff every second day, so the list just keeps on getting bigger.

***EDIT by JCV8***

OK, I've thought about this, and the cost is scary, but here are the list of mods to my V8:

Extractors 895
2./5" system 560
Brumby Front bar 895
Hawk Rear wing 650
XR side Skirts 440
Clear side Indicators 35
17x8" Alloys 1200
Sports (tickford) suspension 0 (came with car)
Paint Headlight Bezels 25
Mesh Grille 80
Custom mesh rear bumper 10
Pod Filter 90
Tickford snorkel 25
800w Amp 250
8" Sub 50
Pioneer front speakers 140
Auto Gear knob 40
Driving lights 90
Interior trim bits 25
Painted door handles 10
Painted Fuel/boot switch surround 5
Painted door handle surrounds 15
Painted Auto lever surround 5
Painted Power window switch surround 10
Painted A/C vents (interior) 15
Painted Dash Mask 5
Coloured dash bulbs 10
Painted rocker covers 15
Braided sleeves for hoses 15
Extra horn 10
Upgraded brake pads 80
Painted callipers 10
2300KG Tow bar 525
Window Tint 295
Fitted seat covers 80
Attempted mods that didn't work 75
Rectification of above mistakes 100

And here they are for the XR6:
Extractors 420
High flow cat 200
2./5" system 570
King Super Low springs 382
Koni shocks 520
Clear side Indicators 35
17x8" Alloys 1050
Camber Kit 350
Mesh Grille 50
K&N Filter 105
Tickford snorkel 25
Pager Alarm 100
8" Sub 50
Driving lights 15
Painted Fuel/boot switch surround 5
Painted door handle surrounds 15
Painted Auto lever surround 5
Painted AU1 switch surround 5
Coloured dash bulbs 10
Braided sleeves for hoses 50
Upgraded brake pads 140
Painted callipers 10
Window Tint 0 (Came as part of purchase price - what the dealer would call 'free')
Fitted seat covers 40
Custom seat covers 150
Attempted mods that didn't work 50
Rectification of above mistakes 100

Shit, that's over $10k! But that's in 2 years, so it's only $100 per week. No wonder I'm always broke!

#16 ·
BIGBADAU, the chrome strips around the doors and bumper can be purchased from any auto shop, its actually a chrome pinstripe tape. I looked at the ghia inserts (you can buy them from ford) but i found a lot of cars where the chrome ended up with an uneven rippled effect. So i purchased the chrome pinstriping for about $20 (2 rolls), Its been on the car for over 2 years (since i bought it new) and still looks good. Its a metallic tape so it wont fall apart or fade like some normal pin striping. Simple transfer it on and cut to length using a sharp blade. Fits perfectly in the door moulds, just cut to follow the curve at the ends.

#18 ·
Are you saying you haven't had any of these yet? I can list the things I've stuffed - Gear selector display, door handles, Dash cluster, Front bar, pod filter & driving light switches are the ones that come to mind easily. I'm sure there's more though, as my mrs always says "Here we go again!"

#20 ·
BIGBADAU said:
yes JCV8 i quickly calculated your expenditure and it came to 11357, you could have had an XR8 220 for that, but what the hell mods are much more exciting, specially when you do them yourself.

Thanks for the reply DK
Yes....I was trying to ignore that number! Thanks for the reminder.

I guess I'll have to console myself with the fact that I probably would have done most of these mods to anything I bought (except bodykit, maybe).

#24 ·
Update - the XR6 (AU1 VCT) now has XR series 2 rims on it. Sold the AU1 rims. The difference between buy and sell was less than 2 tyres, so that works out as maintenance, not a mod, doesn't it?

#25 ·
Mate Sydney prices are much higher than Melbourne prices. Even for a little thing just like a K&N filter. $100 for a K&N filter is way too much down here. AU1SIXA Luckily you live close to Melbourne. Also Jim Mock Motorsport is closer for you. He is in Altona and in my opinion hes better than Herrod (Thomastown). And if your Au is a 6 defenetly go to them. JMM know their 6s, Herrod knows their 8s. Just trying to help you out mate. Im not trying to put anyone down. Contact JMM on 9399 4401 or Herrod on I Dont have a clue! :)

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.