What is this noise ? (MP3 attatched) - Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars
Ford Forum Ford Forum

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
ยป Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > The Garage - Tech Forums > General Tech
Register Home Forum Active Topics Photo Gallery Auto Loans Garage Mark Forums Read Auto Escrow

General Tech Have a question that is not covered by one of the other categories? This is the forum for all other items not specifically covered in other categories.

FordForums.com is the premier Ford Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-07-2003, 23:08   #1 (permalink)
Mob Sh!tter Extrodinaire

What is this noise ? (MP3 attatched)

Hey guys.
I've got this knocking noise that seems to come from inside the engine of my EF futura (4.0 manual) It only does it when it's parked on a hill with the nose facing up ( Maybe the other way too but I havent noticed it)

The link below is to a MP3 of the noise. The start of the clip is outside the car - when it gets noisier thats the camera in the engine bay pointed at towards the headers (where the noise seems to be coming from) The 2nd part of the clip is where I roll the car off the hill back onto the flat and the noise stops.

It's leaking a fair bit of oil (got 150ks on the clock...) and using a little water (about 1 litre/month). It's got a new radiator, water pump, thermostat and gaskets on the thermostat housing where it was previously leaking. I cant find any leaks so I assume it's using it... These things are probably unrelated but I thought I'd mention it.

http://homepages.ihug.com.au/~hobynx/Stuff/noise.mp3

Any ideas ?

5 speed 4.0 EF Futura
IT's Stage 4 engine
ET: 14.4 R/T: 0.001s !
Hyena is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-08-2003, 02:25   #2 (permalink)

At a rough guess it sounds like a big end bearing rattle due to the oil pickup struggling to provide pressure. Is the oil level OK?
Shambles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2003, 04:21   #3 (permalink)
donuts2001

Sounds to me as the oil being squished around by the crankshaft... and seeing as you have it parked up the side of the hill that would explain it. Probably not a good thing for your motor though.
Old 03-08-2003, 06:48   #4 (permalink)
Dreamer

sounds exactly like my car, and im starting to loose oil pressure. Think its about time for a rebuild on mine. Hopefully the warranty will cover it. If it doesnt i'll scream!
South is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2003, 14:14   #5 (permalink)
NZ
feed me hey

Yeah my first thought was the thing might have way to much oil in it. Other than that ????
Old 03-08-2003, 19:48   #6 (permalink)
phatazford

Hey Hyena,

Yep, know exactly what ur problem is, had the same problem with my EF Fairmont a few months ago. Basically what is happening is the oil is draining off your lifters when it is parked on the hill which is why they are making the tapping sound. The easy solution and the one that I adopted was to park my car the other way around (ie with the front facing downwards), and I havent had any issues with it since.

Hope this helps

Rob
Old 03-08-2003, 21:22   #7 (permalink)
Mob Sh!tter Extrodinaire

The oil level is ok - just below the full line.

I usually park it in the garage, ocassionally I leave it in the driveway though which is sloped. It seems to leak more oil when parked up the driveway too so thats another reason to keep it flat!

Thanks for the replies guys. Hopefully nothing will go bang just yet...

5 speed 4.0 EF Futura
IT's Stage 4 engine
ET: 14.4 R/T: 0.001s !
Hyena is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2003, 00:25   #8 (permalink)
Ex Member

Quote:
Originally posted by South
sounds exactly like my car, and im starting to loose oil pressure. Think its about time for a rebuild on mine. Hopefully the warranty will cover it. If it doesnt i'll scream!
Whos your warranty with South?

Not one of those dodgy Ford premium care things is it? They generaly arent worth the paper they are written on, as i found out the hard way. they wont do jack for the cooling system and only cover some things with 3 party parts, no genuine parts if possible, when they totaly fail. Not untill they do either, and when they do they'll try to blame it on something else or say it's "normal ware and tare"..

but then again, i was young and foolish to beleive there was ever such a thing as a used car "warranty" that actually payed for anything likley to go wrong. Live and learn.
Old 03-09-2003, 04:10   #9 (permalink)
Yeah .... I am here

maybe one or a few hydraulic latch adjusters may be on the fritz, had similar sound in ED and that fixed it. I could be wrong ........
XR8fella is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2003, 18:57   #10 (permalink)
Dreamer

Warranty is with DVG, and they are very dodgy. Well the DVG mechanics are dodgy, but when you go to the top level you get everything done, and can then shove it in the mechanics face.

I had no car for 3 weeks for a freakin head gasket change, went to the top, and the mechanics got a nice little kick in the bum and was shit scared that his superior new about it...

i will never get used car warranty again tho. Waste of money
South is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > The Garage - Tech Forums > General Tech