What NOW Please Help !! - Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars
Ford Forum Ford Forum

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
ยป Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > The Garage - Tech Forums > General Tech
Register Home Forum Active Topics Photo Gallery Auto Loans Garage Mark Forums Read Auto Escrow

General Tech Have a question that is not covered by one of the other categories? This is the forum for all other items not specifically covered in other categories.

FordForums.com is the premier Ford Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-11-2002, 00:23   #1 (permalink)
keyser soze EAFALCON

What NOW Please Help !!

Well i have gotten my sony head unit today with 2 free speakers.. 180watt (together).. i dont know if there shit but they were free with the head unit.. they sound ok but this is my first sound system and everything is OK if you know what i mean.. i installed the head unit myself with some information found on this board and i am making speaker boxes for the 2 speakers to sit in and to be put under the front seats.. next thing i want to do is remove the stock speakers at the front and replace them with better ones..

After this is done, i have been given 2 8inch subies !! i want to install them but what do i need.. a amp of coarse.. the subbies are 150max each and 100min. so i need at least 200watt amp... what are good brands and how much.. now i only want it to drive the 2 subs so what else will i need or what will i need to look at on the amp for this to be possible... so thats 4 speakers running of the head unit and 2 subbies running off an amp.. what will i need to send the bass to the amp then on to the subbies and the rest to the 4 speakers.....

also what are tweeters what do they do.. i know they only make low fequencies but does this make the sound experiance better.. and how do i add this to my system..

please anwser as much as you can and dont go half cocked and give me a 3 word sentance anwser.. i really need help

thanks guys !!!!!!!!!

i have an EA btw :-D
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-11-2002, 00:53   #2 (permalink)
Ford Veteran

hmm

Im not sure how useful and amp would be to your system as its pretty low-end. Maybe you could get away with running everything on one multichannel amp. The subs are low powered and pretty much anything will drive those so you will have no hassles there, you are probably best to go into your local car audio store tell them what you have and they will give you a recommendation based on what you have.

Tweeters are components of your front speaker system. Normally you would have a round speaker say 4-6'' and a split, the split is basically a smaller speaker which accepts high frequency sounds only and produces the more trebble sounds, no bass will come out of these tweeters or they would blow. Tweeters are normally mounted in your door somewhere maybe beside or above your main speaker.

Hope this has helped somewhat
gmanEA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2002, 07:27   #3 (permalink)
Phat Drift Damage Victim

Re: hmm

A decent two channel amp will power your subs, somethin like a sony or pioneer or kenwood two channel amp would be enough. You might be able to find last years model of the sony XM-222 amp goin real cheap for like $140. I have this amp powering a 250wrms 10" sub and it's good enough for me. You'll need an RCA cable to run from the head unit to the amp, Power cable for the amp and a remote cable, plus some decent speaker cable to run from the amp to the subbies, somethin like 12gauge. I've got 12 gauge running to everything in my car, those people that say bigger wire doesnt make a difference are totally wrong cos it made a huge difference in my system.

Ed
Stock as a Rock for the moment

TQE's
XplodEd EA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2002, 21:35   #4 (permalink)
keyser soze EAFALCON

Re: hmm

pretty lowend.. F**K spending more than $600 on a sound system.. not only is that ricey but WHAT A WASTE OF MONEY could put that into the engine.. i only want it to be loud for inside the car not 2 blocks away..

thanks for help guys !!
Old 05-11-2002, 23:50   #5 (permalink)
Ford Veteran

man

Take it easy man, it is low end and if your happy with that its fine. But if you want it loud in your car as you say theres not a good chance that you will get decent quality sound. When you ask for advice take it man, that sorta attitude of your seems a little flimsy
gmanEA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2002, 07:41   #6 (permalink)
Phat Drift Damage Victim

Re: man

What I have is pretty damn low-end and it cost me $1400 all up. Like everything, you get what you pay for so don't be expecting earth shattering bass or anything from the system you have. Just a Q with the 6X9's, why rn't you gonna mount them on the parcel shelf or anything? seriously I don't think you're gonna get decent sound outta them in that position, and you're gonna run the risk of haven the box roll around and damaging the speaker

Ed
Stock as a Rock for the moment

TQE's
XplodEd EA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2002, 13:16   #7 (permalink)
The Goodz

(this is Rmyers1)

You WILL mount them in the parcel shelf, if not your an IDIOT, (no offence). 6x9's are designed as infinite baffle woofers, which basically means they are NOT designed for boxes. They're designed to use the boot of your car as an enclosure. What kind of subs are they anyway?
Old 05-13-2002, 20:38   #8 (permalink)
GHIABASS

all the guys above know their shit man, y ur not takin it in is beyond me.

firstly u will get nuthin out of ur 6*9's if u shove em behind ur ass. wats the point of putin them there. think!!! spkr dun sound good wen u smother them, thats whats gonna happen if u chuck under ur seats, the cusion in the seat will actually absorb the sound n u'll get nuthin.

chuck dem on the shelf, straight on or box doesnt matter as long as u mount them n make them tight fit. plus dun worry bout low end high end

mine cost me 800 i've got 2 12" subs 800w amp, pioneer deck n 4" n i pulled 132dBz at a recent sound meet. money value is nuthin today

jus build it up peice by peice, dun go blow all ur money in one go, shop around

u should be able to find a decent 800w amp for around the 250 mark i paid 180 n i replaced the factory 4" with pioneer 80w improveed the sound n my limits drastically

n mate a serious atitude towards ur car may need to be in the mail, cos ur gonna need it if u wanna suceed
Old 05-15-2002, 19:50   #9 (permalink)
WHAT THE?

Re:

hey dude, for a start, don't even bother building boxes for your 6x9's. they will sound like shit sitting behind the seats. put the 6x9s in the parcel shelf....end of story.

As for your free speakers, what brand and size are they? Often these type of speakers are free for a reason....

I'm assuming your 8" subs are something like Tornado's or Dominator or something? Mate, sell 'em to Cashies.....these things make NO bass whatsoever. Honestly, stick to the 6x9's in the parcel shelf running off the headunit. Although it's easy to get carried away with subs and amps etc, often 'less is more' when it comes to car audio. You don't want to cut your car apart trying to fit 8" subs with 6x9's in the parcel shelf then regret it later on. When you have the money to buy something decent, get yourself a single 12" in a box and a 4 channel amp. It will sound a hell of a lot better than trying to do everything at once.
SPHELL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2002, 20:05   #10 (permalink)
Brent79

Errrr

*Hmmmm... Puts on Enya*

Brent
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > The Garage - Tech Forums > General Tech