Whats gonna go wrong ? - Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars
Ford Forum Ford Forum

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
ยป Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > The Garage - Tech Forums > General Tech
Register Home Forum Active Topics Photo Gallery Auto Loans Garage Mark Forums Read Auto Escrow

General Tech Have a question that is not covered by one of the other categories? This is the forum for all other items not specifically covered in other categories.

FordForums.com is the premier Ford Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-17-2002, 11:17   #1 (permalink)
ben

Whats gonna go wrong ?

Well since ive bought the EA, ive replaced the whole fuel injection (all sensors, fuel pump, injectors, throttle body assy etc...), got the transmission done, put a relatively newish (100,000k's from a car with no mods 1992) engine in it, replaced entire power steering system, new tyres breaks, alternator, starter, battery etc...

Im just wondering i do extreme distance in it, like $100 petrol a week on average, and im just wondering whats gonna go on it that surprises me with $$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$ ???

I mean i see mates with pulsars and lasers and old corolla's and in all reality nothing stops them from running and being thrashed, and in all fairness, my EA has never broken down on me and been un-reliable and too expensive to fix.....but it just feels when you push the pedal and feel the torque that our cars would die quicker than theres like the engine is going through more hardship. Is Redline really redline, or is about 4000rpm a more safe measure?

ben
ben is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-17-2002, 21:13   #2 (permalink)
kool kiwi bloke

just treat it with respect and it will serve you well

If it aint broke then dont fffffffix it!
My advice may not be worth much, but at least it's free!
shrekky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2002, 21:42   #3 (permalink)
donuts2001

Well if your really unlucky, I guess your timing chain could snap, sending your pistons smashing into your valves which will damage your valves and pistons as well as bending some of your rockers and making your entire engine a write-off.

Hehe, that would suck.
Old 10-17-2002, 23:13   #4 (permalink)

I hit 5000+ RPM everyday and occasionally bounce off the rev limiter, no engine problems to speak of here. 180,000kms and still going strong! (knocks on wood)

Is our Falcon engine an 'interference' motor anyway? I dont think the Valves will smash into the pistons if the Timing chain does break?
1993 EBII Fairmont (Now wrecking, PM if you want any parts)
1988 Nissan R31 Skyline
Martin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2002, 23:34   #5 (permalink)

Their not free spinning things will go crunch!
but timing chains dont break to often.

maybe head gasket or corroded out head?
map sensor,hall effect sensor,ignition module?
nothing is too expensive though
61sg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2002, 23:52   #6 (permalink)
kool kiwi bloke

watch out for your radiator, you might stuff it when you run up the back of a broken down holden

heheheheheh

If it aint broke then dont fffffffix it!
My advice may not be worth much, but at least it's free!
shrekky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2002, 01:54   #7 (permalink)
Proud Ford Owner

you wana hear how to kill an engine good an proper????

Well I did, it did a conrod and the piston bounced around and spit the bore while bits of metal fell down an punchered the sump at the same time the timing chain came lose looped around the cam destorying all the vavles.

Good eh?

Cheers

Ben

p.s. this was an engine that only 170000kays old and it happend 1 week after I bought the thing.

Now a P6 351 LTD
White XF GHIA for sale PM me
GhiaEB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2002, 02:09   #8 (permalink)
LET EM' RIPPP

Far out, thats some harsh stuff.

Howz it going Ben?

Well I can understand where your coming from when you talk about reving out the EA donk. As wel all know, there not the most rev happy engine in the world, and when you compare them to something like a lil injected 4cyl at high revs, the EA seems like a bit of a pig above 4000rpm.

I think the main cause for this is just a lack of balance on the bottom end, combined with such a long stroke.

However ben, you can be pretty confident that the EA is a strong engine, and in most cases, the well maintained ones will serve you well, even with the occasional punnishment.

For a standard EA donk, I reckon 4500rpm is more then enough revs, and 5000rpm is asking a bit much.

I seriously find it quite surprising at how much flow modifications help out the EA at high rpm.

Take Care.
Old 10-18-2002, 11:14   #9 (permalink)
SB3
E-Series Member

A mate of mine used to have an EA Ghia a few years back. His timing chain broke after some harsh thrashing. Cold starts in the mornings in winter.. what warm up? He used to just drive straight off to work, using the gears & revving the shyt out of his engine.. (which had done around 300,000kms) lol He wasnt worried, because he'd just bought a wrecked ED XR, which the engine & T5 went in soon after.

Cheers
Sam
SB3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2002, 23:35   #10 (permalink)
ben

fds

What about oil ?.........is this important?

My car is unmodified, nothing is pushing it to use all its potential, i take it real easy when starting up and after a long run let it idle down, i dont drive it when it starts to get hot (which it doesnt), etc...

So what little efforts should i be doing to keep it going, changing oil ?....i have marlows super $7.99 oil in from 4 months ago, i cant imagine this to be good, is it too late, is the damage done to change to say mobil1 synthetic 5w50 ?

ben
ben is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > The Garage - Tech Forums > General Tech