Ford Forums banner

whats the ride gonna be like???

2K views 9 replies 9 participants last post by  XF Falcon 
#1 ·
all im changing are the springs to lower my car.
everyone says springs lower the car but if you want a good ride you need shocks. Is the ride stiff or loose or bumpy or what with just springs? im thinking of putting in springs out of an ef xr into my ef gli. what will the ride be like? will the xr springs only lower about an inch or would it be lower? can i cut a little of the xr springs rather then a lot of standard springs? i want to go LOWWWWWW!!!!!!!

#2 ·
Cutting springs is bad mmmmkay :noNO:

Just get new ones. You can keep your shocks but it'll make your ride really bumpy and uncomfortable.

Just get new shocks. You can probably get away with not getting shocks for the front yet, but you will eventually.

#3 ·
if you want to go low then you should be buying a "superlow" spring, and in which case you should replace your shocks as well with a shock that has the right length for a superlow spring

whatever you do - DONT CUT THEM!!!! :sb:

#4 ·
Yea, King Springs sell a rear set for $98 for the pair at whatever height you like. No need to cut your springs. Jesus, don't cut the springs.

With the shockies, your looking for a shortened shock for extra travel cause your running so low. Simple. Pedders sell these items, I got them in my XE, and I've never had a problem.

When you replace all these items, you might want to look into replacing the bushes too. That'll stiffen up the ride a bit and make it feel real damn nice.

#5 ·
I think you could easily live with just a spring change. I had an XF with lowered springs in it, and everyone knows how bad the x series suspension is, with standard shocks and it drove really nicely. Not bumpy/bouncy etc.....

Though if you want to go for handling, then a shock change is mandatory,

#6 ·
Don't forget if you get low springs and you keep your standard shockies basically you will have less suspension travel and that means it will hit the bump stops more. Having lowered shock bodies solve this problem.

#7 ·
glancer

i lowerd my last car (ef fairmont) 1.5 inches at the front and almost 2 at the back (to get the level look) without changing my shocks........the ride (compared to my current car - ef XR8 -> factory lowered) was bumpier, but not that much more. As far as cornering is concerned, i didnt have any troubles in my fairmont.

PS dude, i have some mates with cut springs and all i can say, if you know whats good for you, spend the money to get what you want......cut springs arnt worth the hassle

#8 ·
Atleast fit the proper shortened shocks to the front where most the weight is.Shortened/ lowered springs need more aggresive shocks due to less travel to absorb the bump..

Be carefull ....It sounds like you want looks and who cares about safety, handling..
Look at most production cars that are low WRX,TE50 etc for instance... The shocks are "firm" on them!!

#10 ·
WA Suspension is a good place, on Swan road (?) in Osborne Park. They know their stuff. You show them how low you want your car to be and they will tell you which springs you need straight up.

But if you want a real low ride height I think the only way is to chop the springs. But then you compromise the ride quality for looks.

* prepares to get bombarded with abuse over chop spring comment *

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.