Ford Forums banner

What's wrong with my car?!

1K views 6 replies 6 participants last post by  eskyboi 
#1 · (Edited)
Ok, this has been a recurring problem that seems to be getting worse. I've managed to narrow down some symptoms and what I *think* is causing it but still have no idea how to fix it or what is truly wrong.

Essentially, whenever I accellerate hard or do speeds over sixty for any amount of time, if I leave the car off for ten or so minutes, when I start up again, the car has problems idling and splutters out. Sometimes this will happen and I'll accellerate soon after starting and it happens WHILST accellerating, causing a very sudden loss of power. It 'splurts' back into action and the power comes suddenly back but just as quickly 'splurts' back again and eventually stalls. When this happens, the accellerator pedal also goes slack.

I am having problems with the electrics at the moment (the oil pressure, battery power and temperature guages don't work properly) and I have a broken muffler (the tail pipe was broken off and just shoved back in and is held up by a piece of wire by the previous owner) which I've been told can cause problems with back pressure, but they're about the only things I can think of that are obviously wrong with the car that may or may not have anything to do with it.

#3 · (Edited)
Forget Betty, go for Brittney. :wnc:

Check your fuel filter for the first problem and for the electrical gremlins, check your earths, esp. engine to frame connection.

Of course, it could be something completely different.

#4 ·
Fuel filter... ok... umm... where's that?

I've been told it's possibly a back pressure problem because of the broken exhaust. But still, everyone says the earth is causing the electrical problems so that'll be my next trick.

#5 ·
Fuel lines run down the passenger side under the car, follow them from the tank forward, you will find a big metal cylindrical thing (should be towards the front), thats the fuel filter.

Dellboy999

#6 ·
I have been having this problem too :(

I have narrowed it down to a fuel issue ......

Do you find its worse in the heat ?????

I took off my air filter & had a mate check the barrel when I tried to start it ..... nothing in there .......

I have put it down to injectors/fuel filter/fuel pump .......

Im going to do the cheapest 1st & take it from there .....

#7 ·
Mine was doing that all the time when hot.. next time i started.. splutter/stall/splutter/stall etc...

When i put the resistor on the temp sensor.. didn't do it again. Think the comp is having a spat at one of the sensors and delivering the wrong fuel mixture altogether.

which one? now wouldn't i like to know...

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.