where to buy tool for h/u?! - Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars
Ford Forum Ford Forum

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
ยป Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > The Garage - Tech Forums > General Tech
Register Home Forum Active Topics Photo Gallery Auto Loans Garage Mark Forums Read Auto Escrow

General Tech Have a question that is not covered by one of the other categories? This is the forum for all other items not specifically covered in other categories.

FordForums.com is the premier Ford Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-14-2003, 00:02   #1 (permalink)
Boat Hunting ;)

where to buy tool for h/u?!

hey guys,

I was wondering where everybody got their tool to remove their AU2 head unit from?? I have rang heaps of places and repco were the only people who said they may be able to get one in, but even they wernt to sure.

So where has everyone else gone for theirs and roughly how much was it??

cheers

steve
AU2 S-pack Owner: Silhouette Black, XR6 Wheels, Tickford Sunroof, C2R rear bar, Checker Plate Floor Mats, Chrome Door Sills, Blue Backlite Dash, Blue Painted Brake Callipers, Advanced Extractors, Magnaflow High Flow Cat, 2.5" Stainless Steel Mandrel Bent Custom Exhaust, Genie Muffler. Sony Explode 50w x 4 deck, Kenwood 140w speakers (front and rear), Boss 1200 watt Amplifier, 12" Orion Sub in custom box. More To Come!!
younggun is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-14-2003, 00:39   #2 (permalink)
Boat Hunting ;)

ah it doesnt matter now, I rang up tonkins audio, and they told me to pop down and they took it out for me!
AU2 S-pack Owner: Silhouette Black, XR6 Wheels, Tickford Sunroof, C2R rear bar, Checker Plate Floor Mats, Chrome Door Sills, Blue Backlite Dash, Blue Painted Brake Callipers, Advanced Extractors, Magnaflow High Flow Cat, 2.5" Stainless Steel Mandrel Bent Custom Exhaust, Genie Muffler. Sony Explode 50w x 4 deck, Kenwood 140w speakers (front and rear), Boss 1200 watt Amplifier, 12" Orion Sub in custom box. More To Come!!
Old 05-14-2003, 01:43   #3 (permalink)
Drives like a Grandad

Presumably not giving any secrets away but teh stems of four large pop rivets inserted into the four holes of the head unit releases the 'catches' which allows the unit to be removed.

Cost - depends if you got some in the bottom of your tool box.

Never hold a Dustbuster and a cat at the same time.
greg6099 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2003, 06:03   #4 (permalink)
Boat Hunting ;)

yeah greg, I tried four nails which just fit, and I got the click noise like the proper tool gets, but couldnt get the pull out, must of been because my nails wernt groved at the end to stop them from comming out or some thing.

any way its out now, and I recommend to any one to ring up a shop and ask how much it is to JUST have it taken out before buying the tool, the same thing may happen to you and could save you a few dollars!
Old 05-15-2003, 06:32   #5 (permalink)
Drives like a Grandad

Have used the el-cheapo pop rivet stems several times with no problems.

Never hold a Dustbuster and a cat at the same time.
greg6099 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2003, 03:50   #6 (permalink)

AUII Head unit removal tool

Hello guys,having recently removed my AUII 6 disc h/unit to remove a stuck CD,I found the gregory's AU workshop manual has the dimensions of the tool used which is a U shaped piece of wire 3mm diameter,the straight shank of the U is 52mm long,the distance between the U ends is 37mm centre to centre of the wire,wire diameter is critical as I found out,don't forget to have your security code ready before you remove the unit,hope this helps
Cheers Bill.
Ford jeepman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2003, 06:45   #7 (permalink)
Yeah .... I am here

i rang up strathfield car radios and they had a box of the tools there, and gave me a set coz they said they got the box full for free anywho
XR8fella is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2003, 08:31   #8 (permalink)
Bourbon powered V8

Got mine free from Strathfield too!

AU1 XR8 Auto 147.9 rwkw (approx 215 fwkw)

AU2 Wagon HAD Auto
17s, Pacemakers, 3" Intake & Pod filter (The Family Hack)

Member of:
FPV-XR Club ACT
AUFalcon.com
ATPS (honorary)
JC-XR8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2003, 11:57   #9 (permalink)
Boat Hunting ;)

yeah i called strathfields, but the one I called didnt have any, I might try a few more though, it could be useful to have a set!

now ive just gotta try and mount my new Head Unit!! Its a sony explode, does anybody happen to know how I mount this??! i havent even looked yet!
Old 05-18-2003, 06:15   #10 (permalink)
Yeah .... I am here

when i put the 2 seperate units in my AU, i had to put the metal cradle in the spot i wanted it, drilled holes in the sides of each cradle while in place and then pop rivetting them into spot. did that make sense ???
XR8fella is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > The Garage - Tech Forums > General Tech