Ford Forums banner

Where does the water go ?

2K views 7 replies 2 participants last post by  WhiteRyder 
G
#1 ·
Does any one notice that every couple of mourning there is no coolant in the reserve tank ? I can't find any leaks anywhere , no water in the oil yet still every couple of days or so i need to top up the water tank .Three friends have EAs and EBs and have the same problem.They do alot more driving then me yet all top up every day or so.Even if i leave it for a week the temp gauge never moves above where it always stays yet there is no water in the tank at mourning start up.Any ideas ?

G
#4 ·
mmm

you sure you're not just filling it up over it's mark, i have an xf that i used to fill every couple of days inbetween the cold and hot marks, then one day i cleaned up the engine bay a bit and on the radiator shroud it said leave it on the cold mark, and now i do, and it's stayed on the cold mark ever since, but if you put more it drinks it almost straight away, thats funny, is that the same with ea's

G
#8 ·
Missing water

Sounds like a head gasket on the way out. Eventually (sooner than later) a cylinder will fill with water, and , as water doesn't like to compress, the engine won't start. If you are unlucky, it will start and bingo, very bent internals! The signs are- even when very hot there is no sign of leaks, and the overflow tank seems full, but left overnight, water disappears. Also, the hoses are rock hard when you stop. good luck. (Ford is discounting new heads complete with valves, etc- cheaper than a reco one if required)

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.