Whine/Whistle coming from EA - Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars
Ford Forum Ford Forum

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
ยป Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > The Garage - Tech Forums > General Tech
Register Home Forum Active Topics Photo Gallery Auto Loans Garage Mark Forums Read Auto Escrow

General Tech Have a question that is not covered by one of the other categories? This is the forum for all other items not specifically covered in other categories.

FordForums.com is the premier Ford Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-05-2005, 19:33   #1 (permalink)
EA II S-pac Owner

Question Whine/Whistle coming from EA

Hey People,

My 90 model EAII S has recently being making a weird noise. The sound gets louder as the revs increase. It can be heard inside the vehicle both with the window down and up. It is hard to describe the sound, its kind of like a whistley humm.. I cannot really judge where the sound is coming from either..

The sound is apparent while in neutral and drive both with the car stationary and moving so I'm not sure if this helps narrow it down.

Anyone got any idea where I should start looking to find my solution?

Stall converter?? Cat?? Diff??? Its got me stumped..

EAII Falcon S
Mods: Pacemaker extractors, 2.5" Mandrel Bent Redback Exhaust, Crow Stage 2 Cam, K&N, Sony head unit, Kenwood 6x9" and Clarion 4"...
Coming: 17" rims, and King superlows..
Jakobi is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-06-2005, 01:26   #2 (permalink)

Re: Whine/Whistle coming from EA

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jakobi
Hey People,

My 90 model EAII S has recently being making a weird noise. The sound gets louder as the revs increase. It can be heard inside the vehicle both with the window down and up. It is hard to describe the sound, its kind of like a whistley humm.. I cannot really judge where the sound is coming from either..

The sound is apparent while in neutral and drive both with the car stationary and moving so I'm not sure if this helps narrow it down.

Anyone got any idea where I should start looking to find my solution?

Stall converter?? Cat?? Diff??? Its got me stumped..
Check the power steer & air con belt idler pulleys. The bearings have a nasty habit of seizing. Also check your viscous fan hub, it may be seized. Mal.
tufLTD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2005, 20:55   #3 (permalink)
EA II S-pac Owner

The sound isnt really present at idle though. I have had my head under the bonnet with the engine running at idle and cant seem to locate any sounds. The noise is clearly apparent at around 2000rpm and only gets louder as you rev it more. Below 1500rmp its basically non-existant. It doesnt really sound like a seized bearing as I have had this happen with my fan hub once before and got it replaced.

Any other ideas?

EAII Falcon S
Mods: Pacemaker extractors, 2.5" Mandrel Bent Redback Exhaust, Crow Stage 2 Cam, K&N, Sony head unit, Kenwood 6x9" and Clarion 4"...
Old 06-07-2005, 03:43   #4 (permalink)
Two SC 61's = trouble

Inlet leak or your mother inlaw?? Same issues with both unfortunatly.....
Passengers, myocardial infarction material..
R.I.P Possum...
ebxr8240 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2005, 06:11   #5 (permalink)
EA II S-pac Owner

Whats the best way to determine if its an inlet leak?

After driving it to work and back today (only a few kms away), it seems that its not really reving as easily. And once the revs get up a bit it doesnt seem to pull as hard as it used to. However, this could just be in my mind as all I can hear is that horrid sound.

Earlier I was thinking that it could be either the torque converter or the gearbox, but now I am wondering if a dead cat could cause these problems??

I just want to get half an idea so that I can decide where to take it for repair...

EAII Falcon S
Old 06-08-2005, 00:35   #6 (permalink)
Two SC 61's = trouble

Hit the cat with your hand?? If it rattles its stuffed...
Spraying some WD40 around suspect leak you'll hear different noise when you spray on leaking area...
R.I.P Possum...
Old 06-08-2005, 06:46   #7 (permalink)
EA II S-pac Owner

Im starting to doubt that its either of those now.. The car seems to be running fine except for the obvious.. It feels like a clutch is slipping somewhere.. like the engine is making power but its not getting to the wheels..

Torque converter?? Gearbox?? Is it possible that something has died with the cam and has rounded the lobes off??

I think I might book her into a gearbox joint and get them to have a look and see what they think..

EAII Falcon S
Old 06-08-2005, 18:47   #8 (permalink)
Two SC 61's = trouble

Cheeeze mate you sound very confised ??? Auto's have converters...Manuals have clutch's..Then cam lobes??? They would rattle and tick like an Asian watch....
R.I.P Possum...
Old 06-08-2005, 19:39   #9 (permalink)

Not the XR6 turbo whistlin' under the hood?
Old 06-09-2005, 03:27   #10 (permalink)
Two SC 61's = trouble

Quote:
Originally Posted by TruBlu351
Not the XR6 turbo whistlin' under the hood?
Mother in law ??? Lol....Or that Chineese guy whistleing ??? was it Sumc*nt???
R.I.P Possum...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > The Garage - Tech Forums > General Tech