Whiring noise from my rear..... - Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars
Ford Forum Ford Forum

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
» Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > The Garage - Tech Forums > General Tech
Register Home Forum Active Topics Photo Gallery Auto Loans Garage Mark Forums Read Auto Escrow

General Tech Have a question that is not covered by one of the other categories? This is the forum for all other items not specifically covered in other categories.

FordForums.com is the premier Ford Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-29-2002, 07:35   #1 (permalink)

Whiring noise from my rear.....

Hello fellow ford owners.

I had a bad whiring noise comming from the rear of the car which i could hear in the cabin. I drive a manual AUII XR HP and it seemed like the diff was winding. What was happening was at 60km/h in 3rd and at 80km/h in 4th when letting the car slow down by itself i could hear the noise, but at no ther speeds. I took it back to the dealer i purchased it from and they replaced the diff, and gave it back to me. They said they had road tested it and fixed the problem and the car was waiting just outside. I thought great you little ripper. I hop in drive it home and tested it myself and it was still there. I though you %&$#ing tossers, so i took it back and gave em and earful and i basically said i am never nor recommending any one to your dealership.

So i then progressed to another dealership and explained to them my trouble. They also said thaey had heard other stories about the same dealership...and he laughed. Anyway, we went for a test drive and they heard the noise and agreed it wasnt the DIff. They were happy to take my problem on board and i booked it in the next week.

They said they will try a mass dampner which they showed me which was quite heavy and said they were going to install it between the tailshaft and gearbox or something...cant remeber..anyway they had it for the day got it back and they even came with me for a test drive...well the noise was gonethey also said if that didnt work they also had a request into FORD in Melbourne asking for other possible solutions.

He explained to me what was happening "because the AUII XR's have a hollow tall shaft, the noise was comming from the front of the car.... (i believe he said the Fly Wheel) and was travelling down the tail shaft which gave the impression it was comming from the rear. They found this when putting the car on these rolers and could run the car at those speeds while still and look under the car at the same time. They fitted the mass dampner and problem was solved.

After he told me this he offered to come with me for a test drive just to make sure i was happy and boy was i happy. We tested it all out and no whiring at those speeds.. I was overjoyed. I said thatnks for the great effort and appreciated there work.

The following day, i rang the mechanics boss and told what a grreat job they did and also asked to speak with the mechanic that did the job and expressed my thanks.

Problem was resolved. I now take my car there for all its services and any problems that occur. It another 20 minutes drive but well worth it and they also give you another ford as a cutousy car when required. WELL DONE DENMAC DARRA!

Geez that was a mission to type out at 12:33am this morning.

Catch ya's later. Hope this helps someone with same problem.

Cassius
Cassius is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > The Garage - Tech Forums > General Tech