Why did my Engine explode? - Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars
Ford Forum Ford Forum

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
» Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > The Garage - Tech Forums > General Tech
Register Home Forum Active Topics Photo Gallery Auto Loans Garage Mark Forums Read Auto Escrow

General Tech Have a question that is not covered by one of the other categories? This is the forum for all other items not specifically covered in other categories.

FordForums.com is the premier Ford Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-30-2003, 16:16   #1 (permalink)
Chasing 500rwkw

Thumbs down Why did my Engine explode?

This morning my Dad went to start his EA MPI. Its on straight gas cos of a dodgy petrol pump problem, no petrol tank.
As he turned it over there was a huge bang, my neighbours ran over.
The rocker had been blown right off and into about 10 pieces.
What would cause this.
As far as i can see it is only the rocker cover damaged. Should i just replace it and it will be right?
The cylinder head was done about 3 motnhs ago.
Any ideas what happened?

Thanks guys.
Dan
DansEdgli is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-30-2003, 16:44   #2 (permalink)
Look! A flying orangutan!

Re: Why did my Engine explode?

Gas does this. First I would check the PCV is OK, then start looking at stem seals etc.
My mate in Dianella had an EB wagon, dual fuel, leaked gas back through the PCV all night and in the morning when he started it, it cracked the block, melted pistons, etc.
This is why I'll NEVER buy a Falcon on gas! :)

Oh yeah also make sure the gas is shutting off properly, apparently sometimes it can stay on a little and leak when the motor's off.

Pacemaker headers + 2.5" exhaust
EF Fairmont interior
MP3 player
Lowered King springs
5 speed manual
EF motor

Newest mod: EF Ghia wiring loom and dash
mongrelEB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2003, 17:36   #3 (permalink)
Ford Appreciation Society

Who converted it to Gas?
Is there a Gas conversion plate?
Old 07-30-2003, 18:09   #4 (permalink)
-

sounds like a BLOODY DODGY gas install to me...
galapogos01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2003, 19:41   #5 (permalink)
Chasing 500rwkw

Its been dual fuel since we bought the car about 4 years ago with no problems. About 2 months ago Dads injectors started playing up cos of dodgy petrol so the petrol tank was removed for inspection. Its been on gas only since.

This happened to my girlfriends ED too but only the intake manifold popped off causing it to run like crap That was a tickford install. Can backfiring like this be stopped on gas. I was seriously considering going to straight gas on my XF as my next mod but i dont think i want to anymore. HAve to go fuel injected now.

Dan
Old 07-30-2003, 21:20   #6 (permalink)

I run straight gas on my ute, and I have not had a problem with it. It was originally converted in 1980. Were the cars concerned getting serviced at a gas place or a normal workshop?

Regarding the manifold that "popped off", had the headgasket been changed in the last 18 months??
Old 07-31-2003, 04:34   #7 (permalink)
pR()rN_*

Far out dude that's pretty scary!
Both my parents cars have run on gas the last 10 years no worries, my cortina also ran on straight gas again no dramas.
Geez I've heard of vacum hoses poping off but yeah sounds like the sucker was leaking gas all night.
Old 07-31-2003, 04:50   #8 (permalink)
Chasing 500rwkw

Ebxr Not sure about the head gasket, she hasnt had it that long.

Apparantly the sump blew half off and the rocker gear is screwed as well as some other stuff. He needs to replace the fuel tank and pump and all up he is looking at around 1800 to fix it all. So when he took it to the place where it was looked at, they had a 1991 EA for sale for $3000 in spotless condition with the 4 spd instead off the 3 spd so Dad is picking it up tomorrow after its RWC.

Dan
Old 07-31-2003, 12:31   #9 (permalink)

My EB inlet manifold was not done up properly when the previous owner did the headgasket. It was running like a pig and the workshop thought it may have done the headgasket again. All it required was the inlet manifold to be tightened right up...

By the way, sounds like a good pickup for your dad; any idea of kms??
Old 07-31-2003, 15:37   #10 (permalink)
Whats traction?

Something is very much not right if you have that amount of fumes, petrol or gas, building up under the rocker cover. I would find out what happened there first. It might have been gas the exploded but how in the hell did so much of it get into the block?

There should not have been any gas flowing when the car was turned off because of standard LPG saftey features, if there was gas leaking with the engine turned off the gas install was bloody dodgy. I can't think of any other way enough gas would have been in the block. When the engine is being cranked over the gas is only in the intake/combustion chambers, and not enough to blow the rocker cover and sump off the car.

The worst I have ever done (many years ago now too I might add) with gas is blow the exhaust system off the XD when i put the dizzy in 180 degrees out. I was cranking for a good 45 seconds and was just about to stop when *BANG* all the gas built up in the exhaust must have copped a spark and exploded. Boy was that loud too, sounded just like a shotgun in my small garage!

Ask your dad if he was pumping the accelerator when he was starting it. Its a very common misconception that it has to 'pumped' to get the gas flowing through the system. This is 100% wrong and any gas installer in the country will tell you so. All it will do is cause one hell of a massive backfire if it ignites, because of the large amount of gas built up in the inlet manifold/intake pipes and can really blow stuff up.
Advertisement

Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > The Garage - Tech Forums > General Tech