Ford Forums banner

Why do the Revs drop?

2K views 5 replies 4 participants last post by  Futura97 
#1 ·
Hi,

I don't know if this is the place to post car problems - so please excuse if I'm in the wrong place.

Got a 1998 Laser GLXI with auto transmission. I got cruise control added before buying new, but it wasn't powerful enough to keep the set speed going up steep hills, particularly at higher speeds. I had them add a vacuum canister (for free) which fixed the problem. But - ever since then, and I don't know if it's coincidence or not, the revs drop too low when coming to a stop.

It seems to occur more when the engine is cold, and more particularly when the outside air temp is cold. As I come to a stop, the revs will drop down to 500 or even lower and the car shakes and makes horrible rattling noises under the hood. The service center have looked at it the last 3 services but haven't been able to find the problem (according to them). I think that's garbage, but hey.

Can anyone tell me from experience what the problem is, if it's damaging and how to fix it?

Thanks.

#2 ·
Does this problem only occur when using cruise control, on and off?

If not, then I would suggest you look at all vacuam hoses, making sure they are all connected, and maybe your air and fuel filters. How many Kms has the car travelled and when was the last time you serviced the car, what was replaced?

#3 ·
Hi tickford5400i,

It doesn't matter if I've got the cruise control on or off. Car has done 80,000, and I get it serviced every 10,000 by a ford service centre. I don't think anything was replaced last service.

I did have transmission problems when I first got the car, where it'd sometimes flare when coming out of 1st at around 4000 rpm, and when coming to a sudden full stop, it would be in neutral when taking off again - even if I'd stopped for a minute while at lights. That was fixed, and I don't know if it could have any bearing on this problem. No other engine-related problems since then except for this.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.