Why is my car so fast when cold?? - Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars
Ford Forum Ford Forum

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
ยป Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > The Garage - Tech Forums > General Tech
Register Home Forum Active Topics Photo Gallery Auto Loans Garage Mark Forums Read Auto Escrow

General Tech Have a question that is not covered by one of the other categories? This is the forum for all other items not specifically covered in other categories.

FordForums.com is the premier Ford Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-21-2002, 07:02   #1 (permalink)
Chasing 500rwkw

Why is my car so fast when cold??

My XF carby model absolutely hammers in the first few minutes of driving when it has been sitting for a couple of hours. This happens regardless of the temperature.
Why does it happen???
My theory is that the choke is open allowing more fuel to enter the engine hence more power? Can i make the carb do this all of the time??
If im wrong what else could it be??

Thanks guys
Dan
DansEdgli is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-21-2002, 11:33   #2 (permalink)

When the choke is open, that's the normal operation. A closed choke "chokes" the air from the engine, rich mixture=easier starting, so your choke would be closed, not open at start-up.

Quote:
This happens regardless of the temperature
Air temperature or engine temperature?

You could look it from another angle, is the car running normal when cold and craps out when it gets hot?
Old 12-21-2002, 15:43   #3 (permalink)
Veteran Ford Member

colder air is more dense therefore you get more fuel/air in that when it's hot.
xacoupe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2002, 15:58   #4 (permalink)
Chasing 500rwkw

So its not the choke making my car faster then.

Sorry i should of mentioned it occurs when the engine is cold.
I dont think its the colder air making it faster either because the car does it all the time in both hot weather and cold. But only for the first few minutes of driving.
Thanks guys
Old 12-21-2002, 16:59   #5 (permalink)
Experimental Racer#6

Hi Dan, what XA said is true. The air would be cooled by passing over the cold metal in the carby, intake ETC.
As the engine heats up there will be no more cold metal left, so the air will thin out.
TIKFD6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2002, 18:50   #6 (permalink)
Are we there yet?

But I don't think it would make as much a difference as DansEdgli
is describing.
95 EF Fairmont 5.0 - Heritage Green - 4 Speed auto with AU S5 - 3.23LSD - 17x8" LWT Wheels - King Superlows - 76mm Cobra MAF - 65mm throttle - BPT Underdrive Pulley Kit - 3" Mandrel-bent Lukey exhaust - Tinted Windows - MP3 CD player - White faced dials.

117rwKw - 15.47@89.9MPH
Aaron_EF8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2002, 19:13   #7 (permalink)
Two SC 61's = trouble

Really it should be slower when cold oil/ combustion is crap on a carb engine till it warms up some as in warm NOT hot though.. I guess its got something to do with tuning of fuel mixture maybe rich which is good for cold start but too rich for a warm motor..?? Maybe the choke it sticking on some or the mixture screw if ther is one adjusted too rich..From memory I think that model or before had a air line going to air cleaner and when hot it would vent air through making it run leaner to compensate for the thinner air, maybe? has been disconected or the small hoses on that carb are not working as should..Too high float bowl can cause this too...Restricted air filter another ???
Passengers, myocardial infarction material..
R.I.P Possum...
ebxr8240 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2002, 19:20   #8 (permalink)
Australian BA XR6 Falcon

I'd say there is somthing wrong when the engine reaches operating temp, when cold the thing will be reasonably tight so should give worse performance.

With the choke on the a/f mixture won't be anywhere near optimium neither, what the choke does is restrict airflow which is exactly the opposite to what you want to do to increase performance.

I would be thinking along the lines of a sensor failed, possibly a temp one that controls spark advance, it could be reporting an overheat when warmed up which causes spark to be retarded.

Kieron
Kieron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2002, 21:29   #9 (permalink)
***** Idiot....

actually the car will perform and have better numbers when it is cold and has colder denser air. when your intake or carb is heat soaked you are going to be robbing power from your car.

Why do you think that the racers throw ice on their intakes. Why do you think that Nitrous gives such a kick. Besides the gas itself. it actually makes the air/fuel temps colder. Allowing a denser mixture.
LunaticSVT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2002, 21:37   #10 (permalink)
Chasing 500rwkw

Mmm Nitrous.

So does this mean there isnt much i can do about it. It just a case of the intake and carby heating up and heating the air before it gets to the engine making my car seem sluggish after a few minutes.
This makes the most sense to me.

Thanks guys.
Dilemma over.

Dan
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > The Garage - Tech Forums > General Tech