Wierd start - Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars
Ford Forum Ford Forum

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
ยป Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > The Garage - Tech Forums > General Tech
Register Home Forum Active Topics Photo Gallery Auto Loans Garage Mark Forums Read Auto Escrow

General Tech Have a question that is not covered by one of the other categories? This is the forum for all other items not specifically covered in other categories.

FordForums.com is the premier Ford Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-29-2002, 00:20   #1 (permalink)
Kodak Moment

Wierd start

I have an AU XR6 HP. Occasionally (about 1 in every 15-20 starts) the engine seems to cough and splutter a bit more than usual B4 going Vrooom. Normally the engine starts around 1-1.5 sec after I turn the key, but when this happens it takes from 2.5 to 3 secs. I was told once to switch the A/C off before starting but that doesn't seem to be the case. Is there someone who knows thier stuff that can shed a bit of light on this. The service guys don't seem to know about it no matter how much I try to explain to them.
marine1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-29-2002, 00:38   #2 (permalink)
Can't get enough of it!

Re: Wierd start

Quote:
Originally posted by marine1
I have an AU XR6 HP. Occasionally (about 1 in every 15-20 starts) the engine seems to cough and splutter a bit more than usual B4 going Vrooom. Normally the engine starts around 1-1.5 sec after I turn the key, but when this happens it takes from 2.5 to 3 secs. I was told once to switch the A/C off before starting but that doesn't seem to be the case. Is there someone who knows thier stuff that can shed a bit of light on this. The service guys don't seem to know about it no matter how much I try to explain to them.
Much as I HATE to say this (and give the wrong impression to those looking at AU XR's), mine is doing the same lately. Took 3 goes to start this morning. I've run 2 tanks of PULP through it, after looking at PULP threads on here, with no results.

I used to just be able to turn key, start immediately. I, too, have ensured AC is off, no difference.

Another visit to the hospital, me thinks. Still love it, but!

(Yes, Mum, I know, never end a sentence in but)

Simon...
Old 01-29-2002, 00:56   #3 (permalink)
BSR Field Agent

Guys mine has been doing it as well of late.. and its a VCT with only 4,300 kms on the odo....

It seems to be with the hot dry weather...
Old 01-29-2002, 01:22   #4 (permalink)

My EL does this too, although not very often. It doesnt seem to matter whether or not the engine is hot or cold, but when it happens its a prick to get it to start. Its only happend 7 or 8 times in a year, can be annoying though.
Fireman Sam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2002, 01:27   #5 (permalink)
2004 BA XT Falcon Ute

Could this just be a form of vapour lock? My EF Fairmont Ghia does is sometimes, but only when its a hot day and I've been driving it for a while and then try to restart it. Most of the time I have the air-con on though, but it has happened when it was off too.
Old 01-29-2002, 01:49   #6 (permalink)
At the 3FB Cheese Wheel

My AUII XR6 HP does the same thing, of a morning it will take 2 maybe 3 goes to start but never more. It has done this ever since I bought it (brand new).

Mine has only ever known Shell Optimax or Mobil Synergy so I don't think fuel is the problem.

The only reason I've noticed this is because my AU S started first go every time.

I've just put it down to a particularity of that model. There seems no harm done and really when you think about it, it isn't a great problem.
Old 01-29-2002, 01:52   #7 (permalink)
Kodak Moment

I always run my car on 98 RON juice (Optimax) and like to redline it a lot. Perhaps thats part of the cause???
marine1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2002, 02:54   #8 (permalink)
Pushbike Rides

Funny that most of you guys are having this problem with XR6's. My parents bought an EF Series 2 XR6 that had the problems you guys described. It progressively got worse and worse. The local dealer couldn't fix it ( wouldn't trust these guys to change the oil on a pushbike). Took the car to Mcinerny Ford in Moreley (Perth) they gave us a then brand spanner EL wagon to run around in as we live some 400km's away. Turned out to be a valve in either the pump or pickup in the fuel tank. Can't remember exactly which as it was a good 4 or 5 years ago. It seems strange that you guys all describe the problem the same way.
LARKO 10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2002, 04:36   #9 (permalink)
goooone

My EL had trouble starting if I touched the accelorator before starting it
Mr Jucy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2002, 05:28   #10 (permalink)
BA Turbo

have the same problem with the EF Futura. Maybe once in every 20 starts.

SEEMS to happen mostly when the tank is nearly empty???
mattyc is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > The Garage - Tech Forums > General Tech