will i need a piggy back ECU? - Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars
Ford Forum Ford Forum

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
ยป Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > The Garage - Tech Forums > General Tech
Register Home Forum Active Topics Photo Gallery Auto Loans Garage Mark Forums Read Auto Escrow

General Tech Have a question that is not covered by one of the other categories? This is the forum for all other items not specifically covered in other categories.

FordForums.com is the premier Ford Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-25-2003, 06:47   #1 (permalink)
Fitted.....

will i need a piggy back ECU?

Hey,
ok, ive searched older topics, and have mix ansew's.
So i thiught i will start a thread for me :D

Ok, the plan is i will be modding my car in the ext 3-6months.

My car has extractors and a 2.5" exhaust now, soon it will be getting Crow Cam St2, head work(porting mainly) and maybe a pod or something if its feasable.

Now will I need A piggy back ECU or not.

Thanks

Toby
Advertisement

Old 09-25-2003, 22:33   #2 (permalink)
Synchro Abuser

Re: will i need a piggy back ECU?

From what i've seen on all the mod work - with cam & head mods, you can squeeze an extra few Kw out of it with an aftermarket ECU thanks to better fuel mapping, but you will definately be able to do the job with the stock unit.

I'm led to believe there's chips available for the standard computer that alter the map or possibly make the whole unit more flexible - but i've never seen a car firsthand with one of these chips installed.

If you were looking at changing the ECU - personally i figure you may aswel do a complete replacement to something less restrictive.
People here have put Wolf3d management in place, but personally i dont like the wolf - far to few outputs, it was definately more intended for rotories or 4cylinders.
Also, it doesnt have quite as many mapping points as it's successor - the wolf3d v4.

THe advice i've been given - even tho i like the look of version 4, is to steer clear of wolf competely and spend some real cash on a Motec or Altec or even *shudder* a Delco.

Delco conversion would be the cheapest and easiest in my opinion - the only real dirty bit involved is putting a 'disc-kinda-thing' on the crank for the delco crank angle sensor to operate.

Unless you plang going forced induction anytime soon - i'd stick with the stock unit for your current plans.

My .02, ph0.
Old 09-26-2003, 08:13   #3 (permalink)
Fitted.....

well, te plan is do the above mods, then in 12-18 months go forced induction, though this will be a different 4.0 so i will be able to take my time.

So i might still do the above mods, then get a Motec, then its one less expense when i do save up and go forced.

Thanks for that mate

Toby
Old 09-27-2003, 02:34   #4 (permalink)
Two SC 61's = trouble

Re: will i need a piggy back ECU?

Consider EMS, Haltec,Link.. They have just bought out new versions..From $1500 plus fitting and tune..Talk to a local tuner/ fitter otherwise you could purchase a ecu that no local can tune or familiar with...The Haltec site has fitters listed...
Passengers, myocardial infarction material..
R.I.P Possum...
ebxr8240 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > The Garage - Tech Forums > General Tech