Ford Forums banner

At wits end....XF Overheating.....what else can I try?????

10K views 20 replies 12 participants last post by  xdclevo 
#1 ·
G'day,
Just a quick question about my XF 4.1 crossflow motor. It was rebuilt and I have put the engine back in the car and it overheats. Not from taking it for a drive, but within minutes of starting the car and just with it idling it is getting hot. I have tried all the usual like: Checked all waterpipes, radiator, head gasket, distributor etc etc etc.

I am at wits end as to what to do next. Any suggestions would be great.

Has anyone else had this problem?

#3 ·
its over heating because the temp gauge tells you so? i find it hard to believe that it can over heat that quick. all gaskets were put on right? thermostat is put in the right way? nothing blocking the water flow? is there even inhibitor or coolant in the radiator?

#7 ·
I bought a new head gasket, triple checked that it's in right. I've taken the thermostat out. It was overheating with it in. Nothing blocking the water flow and I must admit there is no coolant in the radiator now because I have taken the water pipes off that many times to check to see if there all ok. It only takes about 10 mins max and it's shows 3/4 hot already. Can't take it to anyone cause it is getting to damn hot too fast to go anywhere. Will check everything again that everyone has suggested.
Thanks Fellas

#9 ·
Ok, I've kept my XF running with bandaids and bits of strings so here goes..

take a garden hose, with all of the engine hoses off plug the garden hose into the
the front heater inlet, check that water comes out of the outlets, start plugging up the outlets that run the fastest (clearest flow) keep plugging until you see one that is not flowing, (indicating a blockage)

If no blockage then connect the bottom radiator hose, check the flow again, connect the top radiator hose, with the cap off you should have the same amount of water overflowing as going into the heater line, you should now have a completely full water jacket.

Keep the garden hose flowing slowly, start the engine, watch the temp, if it doesn't rise then assume problems with heater radiator blockage or air lock, ( you have an airlock bleed nipple on the water pump housing) flush the heater radiator core,
check the T junction on the inlet side near the firewall, (blocks easily and stays that way)

Hope this helps
Prof. Rabbit

jed said:
G'day,
Just a quick question about my XF 4.1 crossflow motor. It was rebuilt and I have put the engine back in the car and it overheats. Not from taking it for a drive, but within minutes of starting the car and just with it idling it is getting hot. I have tried all the usual like: Checked all waterpipes, radiator, head gasket, distributor etc etc etc.

I am at wits end as to what to do next. Any suggestions would be great.

Has anyone else had this problem?

#10 ·
Have you reconnected the water pump fan belt?

No water pump turning = get hot real quick.

Is the pump in good order?

Does the engine FEEL really hot? Could try a new temp sender (inexpensive). Did all your gear work AOK before fitting the new engine?

#13 ·
I've seen exactly the same thing happen. It was found to be the head gasket was put on upside down. So it looked correct but the coolant holes are small on the side they where supposed to be big and big on the side they were supposed to be small.

If your getting a banging sound in the cooling system or when the radiator caps off and the engines running it spews the coolant out? Like it sounds as if it is. Guaranteed to be the headgaskets fitted incorrectly.

Brenden

#14 ·
Either that, or did you bleed all the air out of the system, the XD-XF's have a bleeder in the top thermostat housing bolt, leave it loose and run the engine until water continuosly flows out, then close it.

Does the actual thermostat housing get hot, ie too hot to touch?
Does the top hose get hot?
Does the bottom hose get hot?
With the heater switched on, does that get hot?

#15 ·
Yes mate the thermostat housing gets too hot to touch. The top hose and bottom hose get hot too. The heater when it's switched on doesn't get hot either. Feels a little warmer than cool air but not by much and definitely doesn't feel warm like it should. I did bleed all the air out of the system too mate. Thanks for the continuous support.

#17 ·
Did the heater work OK before the rebuild? If so, and the fact that the rest of the engine seems to be getting hot, maybe you have connected the heater hoses up to the wrong outlet/inlet somewhere causing backpressure in the head, and subsequent lack of flow. Otherwise have you tried running it without the thermostat?

#18 ·
chek ur belt isnt sliping or snapped or not even on? its happend to a frend of mine

#19 ·
The heater was working before, but is not working since the rebuild. It gets a little warmer than just cool air. All heater hoses are correct. I don't know what else to do. Everything that could be tried has been tried. Thanks anyway. No-one seems to know what else I could do, so I may just have to take it to someone.

#21 ·
It can only be a number of things. Also a new motor can run hot untill run in a bit. Start again, and look at everthing. One problem i had was when i got my new motor running, was it had crap in the radiator. Maybe your mates has crap in it too. I just started my new motor and i have a brand new 4 core, so i ran a sock in the top hose, just in case there is stuff that losened up in the rebuild. One again look at:::
1/ Check Timing.
2/ Put in thermostat and sort out problem(with thermostat in)
3/ Get the radiator split, cleaned and assembled and run a sock.
4/ Make sure no airlocks
5/ Dont run coolant till you sort your problem, or its a waste of good coolant.
6/ Did you change jets in carby? Any carb changes at all?
7/ If all else fails, try new w/pump, then check head gasket.
It cant be a mystery. Go through the possibilities, and dont fool your self that any are ok when there not. Keep ya head up soldier...............................

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.