XD Falcon for my first car - Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars
Ford Forum Ford Forum

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
» Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > The Garage - Tech Forums > General Tech
Register Home Forum Active Topics Photo Gallery Auto Loans Garage Mark Forums Read Auto Escrow

General Tech Have a question that is not covered by one of the other categories? This is the forum for all other items not specifically covered in other categories.

FordForums.com is the premier Ford Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-20-2005, 00:55   #1 (permalink)

XD Falcon for my first car

Well, heres my situation.
My uncle has an old XD Falcon which he is willing to give to me for nothing, i want to drop a 302...well...lets face it...i want a 351, but i'm gonna go for a 302. now this XD already has gas, and i'm thinking of putting the V8 on Gas, i understand that there is an apparent loss in power, about 20%, but as a daily driver that wont be a big problem, but what would need to be done to the springs to make it legal.

the only problem is that your not supposed to have a V8 as your first car.....(or so i've heard)...but i suppose that i could go with the stock inline 6.
The car doesn't have power steering, and i am wondering weather it would be possible to put a pump and box in there, i know its possible, but is it worth the hassle???

any ideas or surggestions would be appreciated

Cheers
Bundy6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-20-2005, 03:04   #2 (permalink)

Re: XD Falcon for my first car

Use V8 rated front coils - I recommend getting brand new ones as the XD is now over 20 years old and any originals would have some sag. Also get your hands on some GOOD quality spring compressors - the stock length springs need to be compressed a fair way to get them out, and you don't want a cheapie compressor to let go....

U probably know u will also need V8 engine mounts, radiator and shroud, throttle cable etc. Depending on trans used, another tailshaft will probably be required. Should not require engineering cert as it is an option on the original. Braking system with rear drums will be acceptable, but I would recommend going to 4 wheel discs.

Also probably need a new (read larger) converter to feed the 8.

Very easy to put power steering in - nearly every V8 (and a lot of sixes had it). Power steering Boxes from XA-XF will bolt in, although I believe XD onwards had a slightly different ratio. Not a big deal though. Get the later style pump (not the old cylindrical one, as these used to leak a lot) also the last ones (on XE XF) had steel bodies - earlier ones had a plastic body which warped.

You will need to shorten your steering shaft to fit the power box, the manual tells you how far - remove and pull apart the column to do this.

Hope this helps!
XWish Ute is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2005, 03:31   #3 (permalink)
heard it before!

if you buy a ZJ fairlane, you will get all running gear including LSD disc brake diff, power steer, aircon stuff, springs will probably be too high from fairlane? full exhaust just needs to be shortened a little, and the door trims and heaps of other parts will fit, like spare door handles, blinker switch and stuff.
that would be the best option rather than searching for all the bits needed. fairlanes that run well and are rust buckets shouldn't be any more than $800.
Old 02-20-2005, 23:28   #4 (permalink)

cheers for the advise guys, the fitting of the v8 sounds like a bit of work, but hey...i'm sure it would be worth it....

i cant believe there used to be boxes made out of plastic....there are some dumb cun*s out there.

Anyone got any ideas about the possibility of having an 8 for your first car
Old 02-21-2005, 01:05   #5 (permalink)
heard it before!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bundy6
cheers for the advise guys, the fitting of the v8 sounds like a bit of work, but hey...i'm sure it would be worth it....

i cant believe there used to be boxes made out of plastic....there are some dumb cun*s out there.

Anyone got any ideas about the possibility of having an 8 for your first car

a 302 auto wont go any better than a good 250 manual but will sound nice.
the power steer pump on a ZJ fairlane will have the plastic housing, but they usually work ok but if they are noisy or leak most are upgraded anyway so good chance you will never see one(i havent seen one for 5 years)
in Vic you need to be within a power to weight ratio which would be fine for a 302, not 351. i dont know about other states
Old 02-21-2005, 01:26   #6 (permalink)

[QUOTE=Bundy6]cheers for the advise guys, the fitting of the v8 sounds like a bit of work, but hey...i'm sure it would be worth it....

Cheers Bundy6 on your first car. My first car was a 302 XD Falcon which I got for my 18th in Dec 84 so there's no problem in having an 8 for your first. Insurance 2day for V8's & Teens is a lot different premium wise but you still had some shit back then also. I would suggest as the car is costing you nothing, Just drive the thing and enjoy especially as it already has gas on it and save for another. I don't know how it is in SA but up here in Bris Vegas you can pick up clean XD runners already with what your're after incl 9" for 2-5K depending on condition and how despo the owner is to sell it.

At least then you're not left without a driver while the work is being done. Obviously the down side of this suggestion is that when you put the 2nd runner on the road you have a 2nd rego & insurance so then you can make the decision on whether to keep your original XD that you got for nothing.
351ClevoCorty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2005, 02:31   #7 (permalink)

all you people up in QLD, I have heard that there is a company up there that will heat up springs and make them lower and stiffer.

If anyone could get me the name of the company or contact details would be much appreciated.
I have also heard that re-heating metal ruins it...however i can exactly trust this source...as he tends to bull shit alot.

Any evidence that this happens would be great...

Cheers
Old 02-21-2005, 09:55   #8 (permalink)
heard it before!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bundy6
all you people up in QLD, I have heard that there is a company up there that will heat up springs and make them lower and stiffer.

If anyone could get me the name of the company or contact details would be much appreciated.
I have also heard that re-heating metal ruins it...however i can exactly trust this source...as he tends to bull shit alot.

Any evidence that this happens would be great...

Cheers
last time i got this done in melb i was dissapointed, it cost $90 an d wasnt as good as $140 propper spings, it was 8 years ago
Old 02-21-2005, 20:32   #9 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by deankdx
last time i got this done in melb i was dissapointed, it cost $90 an d wasnt as good as $140 propper spings, it was 8 years ago
I agree, If you want your springs lowered either buy them new or off an existing car or alternatively 'Dobinsons Springs' in Rockhampton can make custom to your specs. There maybe other companies that do this that I'm not aware of.
351ClevoCorty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2005, 21:13   #10 (permalink)
Can't wait for Winton...

Bundy6 check out insurance costs before you chuck in a V8 (or do any mods) – you are crazy if you don’t have 3rd party property insurance (run into Merc…)
outback_ute is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > The Garage - Tech Forums > General Tech