XE Gas Research Tips Please - Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars
Ford Forum Ford Forum

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
ยป Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > The Garage - Tech Forums > General Tech
Register Home Forum Active Topics Photo Gallery Auto Loans Garage Mark Forums Read Auto EscrowInsurance

General Tech Have a question that is not covered by one of the other categories? This is the forum for all other items not specifically covered in other categories.

FordForums.com is the premier Ford Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-04-2002, 00:29   #1 (permalink)
Tickford EL XR6

Arrow XE Gas Research Tips Please

I was wondering if anybody out there with an XD/E/F has been to gas research and what did you all have done to your cars.

A friend of mine wants to spend a bit on his LPG XE monty(completely stock with new gas tank), and we're thinking some GR gear might meet a good place to breath some life into the old 250 crossflow (alloy head). cam, carbs, zorst, whatever works well.

Any tips you guys can give are greatly appreciated.

james
Tickford6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-04-2002, 01:31   #2 (permalink)
a vile merchant

I had the GRA system fitted to my old car (XF Fairmont) with pretty good results. Made alot more power than either gas or petrol did on the previous duel fuel setup. Make sure you take along an XF EFI intake manifold when u go as you'll get a good gain just from that (looks cool too).

Here's a pic of the setup..

PigDog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2002, 02:47   #3 (permalink)
Not Fast Enough, Dammit!

I had an 4.1 XE Carby. I took it to GRA for a straight gas conversion. I got The TB, and all that other stuff that comes standard with the kit (ie K&N). I also got extractors and a 2 1/4 Exhaust. it was much quicker than my mates XE 4.1 on gas (non GRA). It didn't go too badly, but in the end I bit the bullit and got an 8. Dunno if thats going to help you much though
Old 09-04-2002, 05:28   #4 (permalink)
Australian EL Wagon Member

The good thing about the GRA setup is that it's good for a forced application, therefore you're not shooting yourself in the foot later down the track. Keep your eye out for their turbo setup too - I'm waiting to see how their AU2 Forte test car goes in the summer with the turbo on it - it has water injection so detonation is less likely...but I want to see that put to the test hehe. Just my 2c

Cheers,
Steve
Old 09-04-2002, 17:00   #5 (permalink)
Tickford EL XR6

Thanks for the input guys.
Might have to source a manifold I think, but can you strill run the car as dual fuel, or only LPG?
Please keep it coming. If you happen to know, what packages would be good for another 20-30 kW?

Cheers,

James
Old 09-04-2002, 20:01   #6 (permalink)
Last of the Good Ones

I've heard good and bad about GRA systems. I think they get most of the improvement from increasing the compression ratio, advancing the ignition and the K&N etc. I reckon you could get the same from your dual fuel but it would be a pig on petrol. As long as you run it on gas 99.999% of the time (ie. other than at startup) then you should be OK without spending the $1200 or whatever they want from you to install their "special" TB.

Just be very careful and get more opinions first.
Old 09-04-2002, 20:02   #7 (permalink)

GRA stuff is very good, but u can't run dual fuel. It is dedicated gas only. It costs a lot too, unfortunately, and I cant justifyit for my car, otherwise I would convert too
creature3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2002, 23:46   #8 (permalink)
Australian EL Wagon Member

ahem ahem - just to clarify some of the above - I'm running a GRA Gold series TB and fuel converter. I'm running dual fuel no problems (except starting is not so good on gas, but this is a known characteristic). There hasn't been any change in comp ratio at all - I'm running everything stock in the engine.

creature3 : Where did you hear that you can only run dedicated LPG ? I'm curious to see whether I am not taking full advantage of my GRA setup by running dual fuel.

Tickford6 : An extra 20-30 kw hmmm - well GRA do *guarantee* 10% extra power gained - but hey, they didn't even dyno my car before they did the mods - hmmm indeed !

As for what works best with the setups - do the usual zorst, extractors, cold-air intake etc. As I said earlier, checkout the turbo option - worth considering IMHO.

Cheers,
Steve
Old 09-04-2002, 23:55   #9 (permalink)
Tickford EL XR6

Hmmm indeed.

Steve, do you reckon it might be better if he just put intake, cam exhaust on it? He doesn't want to spend all that much much and the car is not worth turbo charging. 10% more power is what, 10 kW on these old engines, so maybe the cam and extractors would be a better path?
Thanks heaps again for the continuiing input guys. Hop this proves worthwhile for someone else down the track too.

james
Old 09-05-2002, 00:15   #10 (permalink)
xe 351

its not a 250 but its GRA stuff in an xe...
Attached Images
File Type: jpg gra1.jpg (41.4 KB, 144 views)
thumpr is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > The Garage - Tech Forums > General Tech