XF Doors - Help! - Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars
Ford Forum Ford Forum

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
ยป Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > The Garage - Tech Forums > General Tech
Register Home Forum Active Topics Photo Gallery Auto Loans Garage Mark Forums Read Auto Escrow

General Tech Have a question that is not covered by one of the other categories? This is the forum for all other items not specifically covered in other categories.

FordForums.com is the premier Ford Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-01-2004, 04:41   #1 (permalink)
ford butcher and baker

XF Doors - Help!

I am having a whole lot of problems with the doors of the XF van. Many people will be familiar with these, I suppose... such as the thin link rods that bend inside the door and need constant readjustment. The pivot between the interior handle and the latch is nylon, this sheered recently. And now the exterior handle has broken away completely. The passenger door has long since been sealed shut.

Are there any known fixes for these problems? can you buy parts? Can you fit XG/EA doors to the shell (if they are any better)?
Advertisement

Old 08-01-2004, 05:29   #2 (permalink)
Falcon 2.. Ferrari 0 hehe

Re: XF Doors - Help!

you will need the following

2 hinge kits per door...
a handle per door,
lockin mechanism per door
nylon busher thingy per door.....

hinge kit will take abouyt 30-45 mins per door, handle 5 mins, lock mech about 4 years lol,
busher kit, easy...

XE Fairmont Ghia... Silver/Grey Met over black, soon to be v8, cant wait till i get another v8, after 3 LONG HARD YEARS

http://home.iprimus.com.au/diablo_vt/xeesp.swf
MaD_WoG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2004, 06:48   #3 (permalink)
BA Fairmont ZL Fairlane

also if you find you cant open your door and its not because the handle is broken then give me a yell as this happened to me and i know exactly how to get it open again.
basically if your handles still work and the door doesnt open then im the guy to ask about it.
Old 08-05-2004, 04:44   #4 (permalink)

XG doors will fit, but have the same handles (at least outer ones) so same problems. Aftermarket handles can be bought - about $10 each. Have seen them at swap meets cheaper (new). Recommend you replace handles, and bend and adjust linkages so doors open with only lifting the handle a little. Also helps to keep things lubed up on a regular basis.
XWish Ute is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2004, 23:32   #5 (permalink)
Fords biggest Freak

XG handles are actually different and will not fit an XF. You will need to put in an XG mechanism as well as the XG handle I think.

There is no sure fire way to fix these problems, but if you go with what MaD_WoG said, then that should last you another 10 years or so.
Old 08-06-2004, 04:36   #6 (permalink)

simple, get an xh xr front, and doors and dash, see what everyone thinks then...

el xr panel van

XE Fairmont Ghia... Silver/Grey Met over black, soon to be v8, cant wait till i get another v8, after 3 LONG HARD YEARS

Old 08-18-2004, 05:34   #7 (permalink)
EBII GLi 4.0L 4spd LPG

i've got one question.. how do u get to the whole lock mechanism? its really in there and i cant find a way to pull the foor apart.. also would installing solex (or the like) locks help anything?
Old 08-18-2004, 06:25   #8 (permalink)
mmm..Vee 8

Get a gregorys/ford manual...check your local library, that has a good explanation on how to pull it out. With my XF i gave everything a good lube up and fitted 4 new handles...doors opened like new after that...but if that still dosent help the mechanisim may be stuffed...they cost about $40 from ford.

Hint..if you replace the mechanism...take note of the where the rods go before you rip it out!

Extreme

5/1994 ED Futura Classic 5.0 in Polyneisan Green - One of the last ever built
Extreme_2020 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2004, 16:52   #9 (permalink)
Fords biggest Freak

You'll need to get the window runner out of the way so that you can get to the mechanism. Then undo the three screws that hold the outside door latch on, pull it up and the mechanism should be free on the inside. Now you need to get the rods off the mechanism, which is the fun part. Just keep fiddling til you get it.

I have solex locks on my XF and they made no difference to the way the door works. They are the same as the original XF door locks, apart from the fact that they use a different style of key.

Hope this helps.
Old 08-19-2004, 04:30   #10 (permalink)

as freak said, mark everytihng, and take your time, i done a mech on a xg at work, took me an hour lol.... but i did it... was bloody hard, no1 cared i took soo long, they wernt busy lol....

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > The Garage - Tech Forums > General Tech