XF EFI falcon missing..blown head gasket? - Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars
Ford Forum Ford Forum

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
ยป Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > The Garage - Tech Forums > General Tech
Register Home Forum Active Topics Photo Gallery Auto Loans Garage Mark Forums Read Auto EscrowInsurance

General Tech Have a question that is not covered by one of the other categories? This is the forum for all other items not specifically covered in other categories.

FordForums.com is the premier Ford Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-02-2005, 19:50   #1 (permalink)

XF EFI falcon missing..blown head gasket?

Hi,

I am trying,trying,trying to get my old XF EFI wagon back on the road and I'm just about to give up and get someone to tow it away.

After a long time sitting I changed the oil and filter and fuel only to find the fuel pump in the tank had died. Replaced this and the car started up and idles fine.

When I go for a test drive up the road it continually misses under load and the thing that worries me is that the oil pressure warning light is on as well.

I noticed there is a fair bit of oil around the head so could I have a blown head gasket here?

I am thinking at this stage that the 'cheap' car is going into the too hard basket or rather parts bin at the local wreckers as its a WOFTAM at this moment.

PS it has about 270,000K's on it as well :-(
MarkB is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-03-2005, 03:00   #2 (permalink)
Two SC 61's = trouble

Re: XF EFI falcon missing..blown head gasket?

Re torque head bolts...It'll either fix it or the worst that can happen is a broken head bolt...Check plugs, leads and cap.Fit one number "hotter" plug if they are fauling up?...
Passengers, myocardial infarction material..
R.I.P Possum...
ebxr8240 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2005, 04:02   #3 (permalink)

Before tightening head bolts etc, confirm where the oil is actually coming from by giving it a good degrease. These models were bad for leaks from the rocker cover - a lot of people put a gasket in there but they were never meant to have one - instead, they are ment to be sealed with ultra blue or similar.

The missing would probably be ignition - I'd be changing all plugs, check leads (replace if in doubt), cap and rotor button.
XWish Ute is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2005, 18:14   #4 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by XWish Ute
Before tightening head bolts etc, confirm where the oil is actually coming from by giving it a good degrease. These models were bad for leaks from the rocker cover - a lot of people put a gasket in there but they were never meant to have one - instead, they are ment to be sealed with ultra blue or similar.

The missing would probably be ignition - I'd be changing all plugs, check leads (replace if in doubt), cap and rotor button.
I'd be pretty happy if this was the case...so first step is to clean up and do the plugs and leads?

If this is no good then distributor cap and rotor button?

Anyone got suggestions for the best place to get this stuff..super cheap, repco, kmart, auto-one? Trying to keep my costs ultra low as if this doesn't work then I'm going to junk it.
Old 07-04-2005, 04:00   #5 (permalink)

Okay,

Step number 1 has failed and so I'm down $90, I think I can see where this is heading :-(

Put in new leads and plugs and basically it runs like a dog. Just ran it a bit and oil light still on etc.

Very noisy and misses heaps down low.

Time to tighten the head bolts now?
Old 07-04-2005, 04:12   #6 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkB
Okay,

Step number 1 has failed and so I'm down $90, I think I can see where this is heading :-(

Put in new leads and plugs and basically it runs like a dog. Just ran it a bit and oil light still on etc.

Very noisy and misses heaps down low.

Time to tighten the head bolts now?
oil light is on is it at idle or all revs.to check the oil light wiring earth the sender wire to the block and see if the light goes out. this will determine if its the sender or the wiring. if light goes out wiring is ok. and your mtr is f#"ked tell me more info.
reece1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2005, 04:47   #7 (permalink)
Nitrous oxide xf

water in fuel my freind if its been sitting along time thats your missing and for the oil presure did you top the oil up when u replaced the oil filter and is it on tight check that. i have seen so many cases at work where the same thing has happend. i fully beleive the missing is dirty fuel even buy a new the fuel filter. drain fuel try that. it would be something stupid like that these cars either work good or dont work at all lol
libbys_xf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2005, 04:48   #8 (permalink)
Nitrous oxide xf

if the car is making a constant big nock then oil pump and your motor is F**cked. other wise what i said below
libbys_xf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2005, 04:53   #9 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by libbys_xf
water in fuel my freind if its been sitting along time thats your missing and for the oil presure did you top the oil up when u replaced the oil filter and is it on tight check that. i have seen so many cases at work where the same thing has happend. i fully beleive the missing is dirty fuel even buy a new the fuel filter. drain fuel try that. it would be something stupid like that these cars either work good or dont work at all lol
good point
reece1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2005, 15:58   #10 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by libbys_xf
Thanks for the advice,

Oil level is all good and normally oil will leak out if the oil filter is not on tight right? I will check it again though.

The light is on at all revs but I am hesitant to rev the shit of it though for obviousl reasons.

Fuel is a bit low so I will fill it up today with a 20 litres or so to give it a bit of a boost.

The funny thing is that previously the car has been reliable as with absolutely no problems whatsoever. It sat there for a while so perhaps the oil pump is crazy.

The oil pressure sensor is the sensor right at the front of the head right? Can I have this out without blocking it with a screw on fitting etc so I can earth it off.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > The Garage - Tech Forums > General Tech