XF Enthusiasts Click Here - Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars
Ford Forum Ford Forum

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
ยป Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > The Garage - Tech Forums > General Tech
Register Home Forum Active Topics Photo Gallery Auto Loans Garage Mark Forums Read Auto Escrow

General Tech Have a question that is not covered by one of the other categories? This is the forum for all other items not specifically covered in other categories.

FordForums.com is the premier Ford Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-19-2002, 19:27   #1 (permalink)
Last of the Good Ones

XF Enthusiasts Click Here

Hi Guys,

How many XF worshippers regularly visit this forum?

I'm embarking on a mission to increase the output of my beloved XF Fairmont Ghia EFI. It's currently stock-as-a-rock except for a 2" lowering job and a dual fuel system (yucky). The engine, transmission and diff were rebuilt stock within the last 3 years.

I'm investigating a K&N air filter and pretty soon a 2.5" exhaust system (with extractors, hi-flow cat and muffler).

Does anyone know of a nice way to improve the setup of the standard EFI induction box. I also have a stupid gas mixer in the line before the airflow meter. I wish the battery wasn't there, I could do some neat rearranging of the standard unit.

This is just an introduction message, I might be posting more often depending on how many XF drivers there are here.

Rob.
BRING_BACK_XF is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-19-2002, 19:36   #2 (permalink)
Crazed Cone Chaser

Hey BBX,
A good start would be to decide on one or the other in terms of fuel. Running dual just sucks. One mod I have heard about for the air box is to cut the underside of the square plastic tubes that leads to the VAF. I havent done it though.

My plan is to run straight gas with a GasReasearch mixer. With these properly setup you can have minimal loss between gas/petrol.

Good luck on your quest.

Go the XF's!!

DILLIGAF: a subsiduary of the DGAF NOP group of companies.
BSR Member - 'Blanky' 'ConeKiller'

Go Here for My Garage Sale
MADXF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2002, 19:46   #3 (permalink)
Last of the Good Ones

Thanks MADXF,

I've considered the GRA system myself but was quoted $1200 to get it done - pretty expensive considering I already have a dual fuel system. I know they change throttle bodies and stuff, but I'd hate to do it and find the performance is still less than petrol or about the same. Maybe the max power is better but the low end is still doughy.

Can you clarify what you meant about cutting the airbox?

And what do you know about recurving distributors for gas?

Rob.
Old 05-19-2002, 19:59   #4 (permalink)
Crazed Cone Chaser

have you seen inside the air box?

If you have you will have seen the is like a snorkel made of plastic and its square...it runs along the top of the box, then the VAF is bolted to it.

What I have heard is that you cut the bottom section out of this tube to give better airflow to the VAF...I dont know how well it works though.

I personally dont know anything about re-curving distributors.

When my plans get into action I will be buying a GRA setup from the trading post and getting another licenced gas installer to do it for me....GRA value themselves far too much.

Old 05-19-2002, 19:59   #5 (permalink)
345kw of V8 Windsor Power

When I put extractors on my EFI XF, the airbox wouldn't fit back on (it just sat on the extractors). To make it fit, I cut off the bottom of the airbox and made up a metal shield to stop it drawing the air straight off the extractors. The better way to do it is to unbolt the air flow meter off the airbox and buy a pod adaptor available from most auto places. You can then run a pod setup. When I get around to it, I will run a pod down behind the bumper. To help fit everything in, move the battery to the boot.

Other mods to consider is to replace the standard fan with electric thermatic fan which will free up around 5kw. You can also get a set of roller rockers through Yella Terra which should add another 5-10kw.
EDXR8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2002, 20:16   #6 (permalink)
Last of the Good Ones

Pod adapters - now we're talkin'.

You say these are readily available from auto places? I haven't seen anything around, but then again I haven't been looking. Autobarn/Repco/Burson?

I've gotta do something to the induction, because it starts behind the right headlight and snakes its way around the battery then down and into the side of the airbox - a hell of a journey I reckon, why not go straight in somehow? I think the induction and filter will be good bang for the buck, don't you?

About thermo fans - I've been told they cause more trouble than they're worth - flat batteries etc. Besides I recently fitted a new viscous fan clutch because the old one was shagged - it seems to come on and off nicely but sometimes it stays on after about 30mins of driving which PISSES ME OFF because it saps so much power and sounds yuck.
Old 05-19-2002, 21:01   #7 (permalink)
Crazed Cone Chaser

I made up a pod adaptor, but I never got round to getting a pod filter and doing the plumbing to put it in.

Its 60mm diameter...it was an old exhaust tip.

Where abouts are you BBX?

Old 05-19-2002, 21:19   #8 (permalink)
Last of the Good Ones

MADXF,

I'm in Melbourne NE Suburbs.

Would you know of any web sites where I can find pictures of XF engine bays. I'd love to see what other people have done, particularly with EFI and LPG.

How much work is it to shift the battery to the boot - what about power losses etc. It takes up so much space in the engine bay it's not funny.

How does the car go passing emissions after a *real* exhaust is fitted?
Old 05-19-2002, 21:32   #9 (permalink)
Crazed Cone Chaser

I was thinking about moving the battery for a while, but I was scared off by the high prices of good cable.

But someone mentioned to me the other day that you could just buy a set of goos jumper cables and cut the bulldog clips off. I think it would work out cheaper.

I'm in SE suburbs.

Dunno about emissions crap, I havent had to deal with it. But if you go straight gas you dont need a CAT.

Dont know of any sites off hand sorry.

Old 05-19-2002, 22:25   #10 (permalink)
Territory TS - AWD

Quote:
Originally posted by MADXF
.....I was scared off by the high prices of good cable....
Go to an industrial supply place and check out welding cable!
Advertisement

Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > The Garage - Tech Forums > General Tech