Ford Forums banner

XF Fairmont ghia to Falcon q's

4K views 16 replies 8 participants last post by  nathan263 
#1 ·
***WARNING - STUPID QUESTIONS AHEAD***

Now I don't have the car yet, I'm gonna start hunting once I get back from my army training and I've got some money.

I'm hoping for an XF Falcon series 2 S pack with the 5 speed manual. It's going to be my first car (well minus a shit box to drive around in while it's being worked on).

I'm planning a respray to jet black or gun metal grey and I want as much of the body done as possible. Now I'm not really up with it on reprays, besides the fact it's gonna cost me an arm and a leg, how much of the body can they respray? I plan on retriming the interior (more on that in a sec) so ripping that out it no worries and I want the engine bay done for sure. might as well get the boot retrimed a matching colour so that can come out.

So with the engine, cabin trim and boot trim out, what will be left unsprayable?

I also find the plastic doors hideous. Solution, Faimont Ghia interior. And I mean the whole interior, dash and all. Should I buy a fairmont and use that or am I likely to find what I need at a wrecker?

I plan on a Black and Royal Blue retrim, is there an XF Ghia dash in black or will I need to do something stupid like painting it? Is there any other dashes that come in black that will fit an XF?

And now the big question, would it just be simpler to buy an XF Fairmont Ghia? What are the differences besides the interior? Am I doing this the hard way? Could I just glue fabric over the plastic?

And any pics of Ghia interiors would be great. And also any XG cluster pics too thanks.

Wow, I really need to stop planning this car down to every detail....

See less See more
#2 ·
Painting

Well im not sure what your asking about the outside of the car, but Falcons stopped the black dash after the XE. I used black velour to cover the shit brown door trims, with contact adhesive its a cinch. The dash I sprayed with gloss black vinyl spray (USE PREPSOL/WAX & GREASER REMOVER FIRST!!!!!!) and its been fully protected with CRC vinyl protector (similar to amorall but attracts less dust etc) The interior of my XF went from GL to Ghia in about 2 weeks plus with the Saas seats, it was like an office. Comfortable!

All the plastics I painted in Vinyl spray, painted the boot floor with body deadner and then customized my boot. Check pix

ViGiLaNtE

#6 ·
If you want a Ghia interior, it would be much easier to get a ghia. The S-pack is just a done-up GL, with red trimming on the seats (WOOOOHOOOO!!!), and a red stripe around the car. S-packs have a dash with analogue speedo/tacho, Digital temp/volts and fuel/oil press. I prefer the analogue gauges, don't know why.

It would be easier to get a 5-speed Ghia, but they are very rare.

#7 ·
Yeah I thought about getting the Fairmont, though I will admit I really don't know much about them. I was always under the impersion they were just done up Falcons, sitting inbetween a Falcon and Fairlane style and cost wise.

I'm after the 5 speed for sure, there's not substitute there. I guess I'll start looking around wreckers and see what I can find Ghia wise. Probably gonna whack SAAS seats in there anyway, so I'll only need door trim and the rear seats.

And I guess spraying the dash is the way to go. Any major diffs between the Fairmont Ghia and Falcon dash?

Is the Ghia door trim padded or just stuck over plastic? Can't quite remember what it was like in the old man's old EB quiv Fairlane.

I'm gonna whack an XG cluster in there anyway, so whatever comes with the car doesn't really bother me.

#8 ·
Re: tip from the guy who knows

here a tip for ya it would be easier for sure to buy a ghia and put a 5 speed in it as the wiring in the dash for the trip computer doesn't come in the s pak also the reason why ghias are rear with 5 speeds in them is because you cant get ghias in manual at all except for the people that have done the conversion themselves also you can have the dash covered in what ever colour carpet you want as it looks really cool and this way it will prevent the dash from cracking in the sun
if ya got any other problems send us an email and ill help ya

#11 ·
i have an 87 XF Fairmont Ghia that is a factory 5 speed manual...i have checked the numbers too.

cheers!

#13 ·
yea i thought they were all autos too, but i have talked to a couple of people here and there and they have said that there was a few and they are as rare as hens teeth. i only bought this thing about a month ago but it is bog stock and never been touched or driven hard in it's life - i have just had to replace the waterpump, reseal the rocker cover, replace the dizzy, etc....its got 260000 on it but i don't think its been driven in a looong time! i love it - goes hard, has all the electrics, full velour interior, cruise, a/c, p/s...and it all works!! i've got a 3.45 EL XR8 rear axle and diff lined up for it along with a set of new king springs superlows, monroe gt gas shocks and all the nolathane bushes i could get! i'll have to post some pics after i've lowered it.

cheers!

#15 ·
thats about average price for an average car... they are cheap the xf's... i was having trouble selling my ghia for $1000 with 12 months rego... probably gonna wreck it out, no1 wants it... hmmm... xf ghia interior in the gold xe ghia... 351... toploader.... i think i should wake up from my dream hehehe

#16 ·
hey MaD_WoG, what colour is your ghia interior? if it's slate grey i am EXTREMELY INTERESTED!!

cheers!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.