XF Fairmont ghia to Falcon q's - Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars
Ford Forum Ford Forum

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
» Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > The Garage - Tech Forums > General Tech
Register Home Forum Active Topics Photo Gallery Auto Loans Garage Mark Forums Read Auto Escrow

General Tech Have a question that is not covered by one of the other categories? This is the forum for all other items not specifically covered in other categories.

FordForums.com is the premier Ford Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-02-2003, 03:48   #1 (permalink)
Veteran Ford Member

Question XF Fairmont ghia to Falcon q's

***WARNING - STUPID QUESTIONS AHEAD***

Now I don't have the car yet, I'm gonna start hunting once I get back from my army training and I've got some money.

I'm hoping for an XF Falcon series 2 S pack with the 5 speed manual. It's going to be my first car (well minus a shit box to drive around in while it's being worked on).

I'm planning a respray to jet black or gun metal grey and I want as much of the body done as possible. Now I'm not really up with it on reprays, besides the fact it's gonna cost me an arm and a leg, how much of the body can they respray? I plan on retriming the interior (more on that in a sec) so ripping that out it no worries and I want the engine bay done for sure. might as well get the boot retrimed a matching colour so that can come out.

So with the engine, cabin trim and boot trim out, what will be left unsprayable?

I also find the plastic doors hideous. Solution, Faimont Ghia interior. And I mean the whole interior, dash and all. Should I buy a fairmont and use that or am I likely to find what I need at a wrecker?

I plan on a Black and Royal Blue retrim, is there an XF Ghia dash in black or will I need to do something stupid like painting it? Is there any other dashes that come in black that will fit an XF?

And now the big question, would it just be simpler to buy an XF Fairmont Ghia? What are the differences besides the interior? Am I doing this the hard way? Could I just glue fabric over the plastic?

And any pics of Ghia interiors would be great. And also any XG cluster pics too thanks.

Wow, I really need to stop planning this car down to every detail....
psycho chicken is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-03-2003, 01:01   #2 (permalink)
V8 XW Ute/APV Kitted EBII

Read Painting

Well im not sure what your asking about the outside of the car, but Falcons stopped the black dash after the XE. I used black velour to cover the shit brown door trims, with contact adhesive its a cinch. The dash I sprayed with gloss black vinyl spray (USE PREPSOL/WAX & GREASER REMOVER FIRST!!!!!!) and its been fully protected with CRC vinyl protector (similar to amorall but attracts less dust etc) The interior of my XF went from GL to Ghia in about 2 weeks plus with the Saas seats, it was like an office. Comfortable!

All the plastics I painted in Vinyl spray, painted the boot floor with body deadner and then customized my boot. Check pix

ViGiLaNtE
Old 02-03-2003, 01:05   #3 (permalink)

Read Boot

This took me 2 days to complete

More pix available on request

ViGiLaNtE
Old 02-03-2003, 01:09   #4 (permalink)

Read Boot

Boot again
Old 02-03-2003, 01:11   #5 (permalink)

Read Boot

Spare wheel not in car...at this stage
Old 02-03-2003, 02:20   #6 (permalink)
Are we there yet?

If you want a Ghia interior, it would be much easier to get a ghia. The S-pack is just a done-up GL, with red trimming on the seats (WOOOOHOOOO!!!), and a red stripe around the car. S-packs have a dash with analogue speedo/tacho, Digital temp/volts and fuel/oil press. I prefer the analogue gauges, don't know why.

It would be easier to get a 5-speed Ghia, but they are very rare.
95 EF Fairmont 5.0 - Heritage Green - 4 Speed auto with AU S5 - 3.23LSD - 17x8" LWT Wheels - King Superlows - 76mm Cobra MAF - 65mm throttle - BPT Underdrive Pulley Kit - 3" Mandrel-bent Lukey exhaust - Tinted Windows - MP3 CD player - White faced dials.

117rwKw - 15.47@89.9MPH
Aaron_EF8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2003, 04:18   #7 (permalink)
Veteran Ford Member

Yeah I thought about getting the Fairmont, though I will admit I really don't know much about them. I was always under the impersion they were just done up Falcons, sitting inbetween a Falcon and Fairlane style and cost wise.

I'm after the 5 speed for sure, there's not substitute there. I guess I'll start looking around wreckers and see what I can find Ghia wise. Probably gonna whack SAAS seats in there anyway, so I'll only need door trim and the rear seats.

And I guess spraying the dash is the way to go. Any major diffs between the Fairmont Ghia and Falcon dash?

Is the Ghia door trim padded or just stuck over plastic? Can't quite remember what it was like in the old man's old EB quiv Fairlane.

I'm gonna whack an XG cluster in there anyway, so whatever comes with the car doesn't really bother me.
psycho chicken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2003, 22:38   #8 (permalink)
XF 250 4.1 XFLOW TURBO

Re: tip from the guy who knows

here a tip for ya it would be easier for sure to buy a ghia and put a 5 speed in it as the wiring in the dash for the trip computer doesn't come in the s pak also the reason why ghias are rear with 5 speeds in them is because you cant get ghias in manual at all except for the people that have done the conversion themselves also you can have the dash covered in what ever colour carpet you want as it looks really cool and this way it will prevent the dash from cracking in the sun
if ya got any other problems send us an email and ill help ya
blueovalxfboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2003, 03:58   #9 (permalink)
Falcon 2.. Ferrari 0 hehe

Re: XF Fairmont ghia to Falcon q's

simple, get a ghia, get 4 speed, and done, i dont like the 5 speeds,
MaD_WoG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2003, 02:06   #10 (permalink)
XF 250 4.1 XFLOW TURBO

Re: XF Fairmont ghia to Falcon q's

MaD_WoG whats wrong with the 5 speeds they have lower gear ratios so they have better acceleration than the 4 speed.
blueovalxfboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > The Garage - Tech Forums > General Tech