Ford Forums banner

XF power steering problems

3K views 4 replies 5 participants last post by  gregaust 
#1 ·
Hey, just wondering if someone can help me out on a problem I have with my XF.

The steering is starting to make quite a scary and disturbing creaking noise as you turn the wheel left and/or right. Moreso when you turn right. It only makes the noise when the car is at operating temp, not when its cold. This led me to think that maybe it might have been the pump, with the belt stretching as it heats up it doesn't work properly or whatever(probably way off i know but it was worth a shot) but it wasn't. So it now leads me to think that it just needs a dam good lube job.

Any opinions or anyone know how to fix it? I hate it when people say "Yep, must be a ford" :( BASTARDS

Cheers
Matt

#4 ·
Ditto here, XG ute.

Just replaced all ball joints, upper & lower bushes, radius arm bush, spring saddles and pitman arm. Would have thought that would fix it but NO :mad:

Mine doesn't do it when it's wet - which made me think it was a bush (lubricated by the rain).

I have had it suggested that it is the spring twisting and rubbing in the lower mount - but I dunno.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.