Ford Forums banner

XF Radiator Leaking from Side Tank...Options??

1K views 6 replies 6 participants last post by  Extreme_2020 
#1 ·
Hey All,

The radiator in my XF is leaking from the right hand side tank, it seems the leak is from the join between the tank and the actual radiator core itself. It doesnt leak when the car is running, only when the car is turned off when the radiator is warm, possibly due to the fact that when the system is expanded the join leaks, i think!. Is it economical to replace the side tank these days?? Any body know the ball park price of a new radiator??

Thanks

Extreme

#4 ·
Chemi Weld (radiator sealant) works really well if you follow the directions.
Regards
Prof Rabbit

Extreme_2020 said:
Hey All,

The radiator in my XF is leaking from the right hand side tank, it seems the leak is from the join between the tank and the actual radiator core itself. It doesnt leak when the car is running, only when the car is turned off when the radiator is warm, possibly due to the fact that when the system is expanded the join leaks, i think!. Is it economical to replace the side tank these days?? Any body know the ball park price of a new radiator??

Thanks

Extreme

#5 ·
Good ideas.

To answer your quiry, when you shut the motor off, the water in the engine gets hotter due to their being no more water circulation. This increases the pressure in radiator system and away she squirts! ie: doesn't leak when running due to cooler water temp/pressure.

Are your side tanks plastic or metal?

Could get the hole braised or welded up also.

#6 ·
TruBlu351 said:
when you shut the motor off, the water in the engine gets hotter due
this is called "heatsoak" and the engine can rise in temp by approx 20 degrees depending on how u drove it when u switched it off and it expands accordingly.

if u got a metal radiator and the core is in reasonable nic then u probably dont need a new one. just get the leak repaired. any radiator shop can do it, and u'd get plenty of change out of a $100

#7 ·
Thanks for the help guys,

The radiator is 6 years old (according to the date on it), and was a exchange over unit. The side tanks are plastic from what i can feel. Id better get the whole thing looked over before changing the side tank, if the core is stuffed then its better off for another replacement.

Extreme

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.